Author Topic: Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 - Problems  (Read 6604 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 - Problems
« on: Monday 02 January 12 19:37 GMT (UK) »
I have installed Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 on my brand new computer running Windows 7 64 bit. I did not appreciate the problems.

The first time that I installed it the computer shut down as soon as it was loaded and from then onwards it shut down within seconds of the computer booting up into windows. I used system restore to take the computer back to before Elements 10 was installed. The computer kept on switching off after windows had booted up.

Took it into the technician who thought the PSU was at fault and he put in a new unit.

The computer then worked fine until I installed Elements 10, and again the computer switches off as soon as Windows as booted up. I have again used system restore to take the computer back to before Elements 10 was installed still it switches off shortly after booting into windows. The computer however, will run in safe mode for as long as I want - but this is of no real use to me now!

What can I do to get things to work properly again?  I have a brand new computer that I am unable to use as a result of installing Elements 10.

I am typing this on my old computer running Vista  34 bit with Elements 10 installed and all working well.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Andy

The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 - Problems
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 12 22:56 GMT (UK) »
From Adobe web site :-

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 & Adobe Premiere Elements 10 / Tech specs
Windows 7
(all applications run native on 32-bit operating systems and in 32-bit compatibility mode on 64-bit operating systems)

Regards

Malky

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 12 23:59 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate that it will work in compatibility mode, but simply installing the programme on the computer causes the computer to shut down soon after windows has loaded consistently. It even carries on doing this even when system restore has taken the computer back to pre installation of Elements 10.

I suspect that I may have a conflict on the system with another application which is already installed . . . .will have to investigate this further  . . . . . but still not sure.
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 00:13 GMT (UK) »
If the PC is running in safe mode, can you remove the program, or change the compatability mode there?

Regards

Malky

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Even after returning the computer to how it was after installing Elements 10 the computer still keeps switching off. See full story at top.

Replacing the PSU solved the problem in the first instance - but this was not the problem it was Elements 10!

Andy

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Photoshop Elements is pretty memory intensive as is most graphics software, what else do you have that is programmed to start at bootup?

You say you have windows 7 64-bit but what are the other specs of your pc?  Have you double checked the pc conforms to PE's minimum operating requirements.

My windows 7 pc's and laptop have no problem running Elements at all but I also keep background programs to a minimum.

ps... PE along with many other programs loads at startup, which, to me, might indicate there are too many programs trying to load at the same time. Many are not essential to load on every single startup!
Start in safe mode and try typing in MSCONFIG into the windows search box, click on Startup tab and unclicking the programs you don't neccessarily use every time.  Leave programs like antivirus, firewalls, audio and graphic card software etc. Also leave anything you are not sure of (try googling to find out what they do!). Click save and reboot normally.
You are not removing any of these programs, no damage will be done and you can always go back into msconfig and re-check the boxes again.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 09:53 GMT (UK) »

Thank you for your reply jc26red.

It is a brand new computer with just Windows 7 64 bit  plus plus Microsoft Office 2010 installed so very little else programmed at boot up.

Hoping to look into things more today. Any advice is appreciated.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I am slightly confused with this.
In your first post you stated " The computer however, will run in safe mode for as long as I want - but this is of no real use to me now!"

I then posted " If the PC is running in safe mode, can you remove the program, or change the compatability mode there?"

You then posted " Even after returning the computer to how it was after installing Elements 10 the computer still keeps switching off"

Question now is, does it run in safe mode or not??

Regards

Malky

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 17:44 GMT (UK) »
It is a brand new computer ...

That doesn't really answer my question either!  How much RAM is installed? Have you checked that the memory card(s) are being recognised!

Buying a Windows 7 computer doesn't mean you get the latest all singing all dancing hardware, it just means you have been sold a computer that is capable of running windows 7
Either there isn't enough memory in the first place
Something is running which is eating up the memory
or one of the memory cards is duff

ps MS office 2010 does not start at bootup so would not affect the pc startup performance.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.