Author Topic: Mahon, Rourke, Sharkey - Tibohine  (Read 6050 times)

Offline akauroracatcher

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mahon, Rourke, Sharkey - Tibohine
« on: Tuesday 03 January 12 06:29 GMT (UK) »
I have restarted my genealogy research for our own kids and family.  My mother was born in Tibohine, Co. Roscommon in 1921.  Her parents were Patrick Mahon (b. 1879) and Ellen Mahon, nee Rourke (b. 1884 - approx.).  I am having trouble finding accurate accounts past this.  I believe Ellen's mother was Margaret Sharkey and I don't have the first name for her father (Rourke or O'Rourke).  Same on the other side.  I believe Patrick's father was John Mahon (b. around 1850) and his mother Mary Sharkey (b. around 1850).  The Rourkes were from Cloggarnagh (sp?). I have not contacted the Tibohine parish yet for records.  My grandparents were married and my mom was baptized in the Tibohine church.  Both grand parents are buried in the cemetery next to the church in unmarked graves.  I have worked for quite some time navigating Irish Census 1901-1910 and other records.  I am wondering if anyone near Tibohine might have more luck of if someone else is already researching these lines.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Mahon, Rourke, Sharkey - Tibohine
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Her parents were Patrick Mahon (b. 1879) and Ellen Mahon, nee Rourke (b. 1884 - approx.).  I am having trouble finding accurate accounts past this.  I believe Ellen's mother was Margaret Sharkey and I don't have the first name for her father (Rourke or O'Rourke).  Same on the other side.  I believe Patrick's father was John Mahon (b. around 1850)

The best way to establish the father's details would be with a marriage cert for Patrick and Ellen. A civil marriage cert would give father's names and occupations, and also current residences for the bride and groom, which could help your search.

Do you have any idea when they may have married ?

see :  Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mahon, Rourke, Sharkey - Tibohine
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Presumably you have the details from the Irish census. 1901 and 1911 -Cloonmagunnaun

This may be the marriage: September quarter 1919 Boyle District vol 4 pg 52
Patrick Mahon and Ellen Rourke
You can get the marriage details from http://www.groireland.ie/

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk