Author Topic: NIXON family Manchester  (Read 2075 times)

Offline sunshine18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NIXON family Manchester
« on: Tuesday 03 January 12 10:27 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find more on the family of William NIXON B ABT 1825, glassmaker son of William NIXON and Anne BURT. He had a very interesting career in Australia as a member of parliment and a founder of a glass factory in Victoria and would love to trace him further back or be in contact with any rellies.

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NIXON family Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Sunshine18 - what do you have, so we don't repeat things? For example would he be on any UK censuses & do you have these?

FamilySearch has one matching baptism 23 Oct 1825 at the Cathedral (nit-picking, but it didn't become a cathedral til the 1840s, in 1825 it would be Manchester Collegiate). There may well be others that are not online as Nixon isn't an unusual name. Using the same site there are several other baptisms in the area with parents William & Ann(e) - could be siblings or totally unrelated:
https://www.familysearch.org/

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 16:26 GMT (UK) »
He had a very interesting career in Australia

When did he emigrate?

Is he connected to a previous thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,350387.msg2286549.html#msg2286549
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Try 1841 census
Manchester,Holt Street,Hulme Manchester
HO107/583/12
William Nixon aged 14 glass maker,
John Nixon aged 12 glass maker ,both born in county
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 03:46 GMT (UK) »
If he married Mary Ann Carter in 1854 there are 3 public trees on Ancestry.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask please what documentation you have that gives his parents as William and Ann,

I know there is a marriage for William and Ann in 1820
have you seen the church record ,stating Williams occupation,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline sunshine18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 January 12 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, yes I have the census. Where he appears with his brother John, confirmed for me that I had the correct parents for him, William and Ann. I don't have specific documentation that says his parents names but I have a year of birth, that he was born in MANCHESTER and that he worked as a glass maker there. Yes he married Mary Anne Carter, however I don't think the other trees have gotten much further than I have. Yes, he is connected to the previous thread, but I've found more information on him since then that has helped me fill in the gaps. He immigrated in 1852 aboard the Nepaul, which I got from his political record.
Okay I think I've answered everything. Anymore questions let me know. I think I may have found a connection between him and the NIXONS from LEICESTER. His brother John NIXON b 1827 is staying with his aunt in 1861, Harriett BERRY. Harriett was born LEICESTERSHIRE and it seems she has a brother William, so I think I may have cracked it.

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 January 12 13:35 GMT (UK) »
The FamilySearch site has a marriage in 1820 for William Nixon & Ann Burt. At this date there would be little extra detail (status, location - often just "of this parish" and witnesses) - FS has William as "single". The LancsOPC has some coverage of the Cathedral, but not for this year - they transcribe the full details.