Author Topic: St Michaels Garston Liverpool  (Read 20120 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Michaels Garston Liverpool
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm researching Hornbys from Garston - both born and buried there. Ancestry records show St Michael's as being their parish. I was wondering if there are records or a plan of the graveyard which shows where people are buried.

Any help would be very helpful.
Ley
Hiya Ley and welcome to Rootschat - weathers lovely here at the moment - I will take the dog for a walk to the churchyard tomorrow morning and have a look for you .....I know 2 Hornby families here in Garston
cheers
Garstonite  :)
ADDED
This looks to be the earliest Hornby I can find in Garston - born 1782 - died 1824 ..aged 42 ..is she in your tree ??
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NPR7-D45
Garston Archives
In 1854, should you wish to get to the Mersey shoreline by Grassendale from the centre of Garston, you would have been directed along Chapel Lane past Thomas Sichrell's public house and Richard Archer's mill up to the bridge over Garston Brook. You then had the choice of taking the Garston new road, which later became St Mary's Road, past Robert and Joseph Helsby's joiner shop, Andrew Walker's blacksmith shop, the police station and three houses. There was nothing else until you reached Matthew Atkins' Garston Hotel.
so Robert and Joseph Helsby were in business there as Joiners in 1854.....
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Ley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 23:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. I look forward to having a look later. Bit difficult from here in Australia. Meanwhile I will have a look at the link you sent through

Ley :)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 11 June 15 06:24 BST (UK) »
You're welcome .
I am a pensioner and Jack Hornby and Billy Hornby were very good friends of mine - sadly both deceased now - are they in any way related to you ?
Jacks wife was Alice .
I will have a look this morning in the churchyard but it would be easier if I was looking for a specific name - I estimate there are about 350 graves - so could be around 1200 - 1500 bodies in the church graveyard ...it usually takes about an hour to get around them all ..
 :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Ley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 11 June 15 10:48 BST (UK) »
You're welcome .
I am a pensioner and Jack Hornby and Billy Hornby were very good friends of mine - sadly both deceased now - are they in any way related to you ?
Jacks wife was Alice .
I will have a look this morning in the churchyard but it would be easier if I was looking for a specific name - I estimate there are about 350 graves - so could be around 1200 - 1500 bodies in the church graveyard ...it usually takes about an hour to get around them all ..

Sorry but not sure how to reply properly!!!
Relatives are:
Margaret Hornby (nee Ellis)   1815-1867
Husband Henry                    1809 -1882
We could begin with these as I know for sure they're buried there.
Ley

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 11 June 15 12:29 BST (UK) »
OK Great - Market day tomorrow so I will go about 10 am after the Market - but - Margaret Ellis ??
don't get your hopes up ...lol...my grandmother was Martha Ellis - and I go back with the Ellis family to 1799 - Edward Ellis - he married Mary Tipping ...their children
Ann 1835
Joanna 1838
Ann 1842
Mary 1844
William 1847
Elizabeth 1850
Alice 1853
Joseph T 1857
.Annie 1860 .....................................so I am now wondering if Margaret Ellis b 1815 is a sister of my Edward Ellis b 1799...my Edward Ellis was born in Wales (pretty certain it was Flint )...
the Welsh came to Garston early 1800's to work in the Copper Works - the Welsh already having knowledge of working Copper ...
Edward Ellis was my GG Grandfather - do you know if your Margaret Ellis was Welsh ??...to my knowledge Edward Ellis was the first Ellis in Garston - so he may have come there with his family around 1810-1820 ....
so there may be a chance we have a blood connection via the Ellis family - EVERY Ellis I know in Garston is connected to Edward - I know he had brothers named Thomas Ellis and Samuel Ellis here in Garston :) :)

Offline Ley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 11 June 15 13:07 BST (UK) »
OK Great - Market day tomorrow so I will go about 10 am after the Market - but - Margaret Ellis ??
don't get your hopes up ...lol...my grandmother was Martha Ellis - and I go back with the Ellis family to 1799 - Edward Ellis - he married Mary Tipping ...their children
Ann 1835
Joanna 1838
Ann 1842
Mary 1844
William 1847
Elizabeth 1850
Alice 1853
Joseph T 1857
.Annie 1860 .....................................so I am now wondering if Margaret Ellis b 1815 is a sister of my Edward Ellis b 1799...my Edward Ellis was born in Wales (pretty certain it was Flint )...
the Welsh came to Garston early 1800's to work in the Copper Works - the Welsh already having knowledge of working Copper ...
Edward Ellis was my GG Grandfather - do you know if your Margaret Ellis was Welsh ??...to my knowledge Edward Ellis was the first Ellis in Garston - so he may have come there with his family around 1810-1820 ....
so there may be a chance we have a blood connection via the Ellis family - EVERY Ellis I know in Garston is connected to Edward - I know he had brothers named Thomas Ellis and Samuel Ellis here in Garston :) :)

Mold Flintshire it is! Wow. Not getting my hopes up though.
I'm actually booked to come over in September - staying in Liverpool late September. Can't wait to travel around - will definitely be visiting Garston
Ley

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 12 June 15 03:52 BST (UK) »
Yes - Mold - here is my Edward - says b 1803 - but another census says b 1799 ...in 1861 census he is 62 and 1871 census 68 ...so a little fib somewhere
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZPC-P8B
note he was 59 when his youngest Joseph was born ...he died in 1874 ...
so it is looking increasingly likely we have a blood connection back to Edward and Margarets parents - if only I could find them for definite...
so -I am off to Jersey on 30th sept for a little holiday will you be here before that ?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm researching Hornbys from Garston - both born and buried there. Ancestry records show St Michael's as being their parish. I was wondering if there are records or a plan of the graveyard which shows where people are buried.

Any help would be very helpful.
Ley
Hiya Ley and welcome to Rootschat - weathers lovely here at the moment - I will take the dog for a walk to the churchyard tomorrow morning and have a look for you .....I know 2 Hornby families here in Garston
cheers
Garstonite  :)
ADDED
This looks to be the earliest Hornby I can find in Garston - born 1782 - died 1824 ..aged 42 ..is she in your tree ??
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NPR7-D45
Garston Archives
In 1854, should you wish to get to the Mersey shoreline by Grassendale from the centre of Garston, you would have been directed along Chapel Lane past Thomas Sichrell's public house and Richard Archer's mill up to the bridge over Garston Brook. You then had the choice of taking the Garston new road, which later became St Mary's Road, past Robert and Joseph Helsby's joiner shop, Andrew Walker's blacksmith shop, the police station and three houses. There was nothing else until you reached Matthew Atkins' Garston Hotel.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 09:04 BST (UK) »
Sadly - I couldn't find any Hornby Headstones - maybe you will have more luck when you visit ...I only looked at the names on the top of the headstones ....maybe there are Hornby mentioned lower down on the headstones - I looked for 45 mins - to read every headstone from top to bottom would take 90 mins- 2 hrs...