Author Topic: HOLLIDAY, William Clowes  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Ringham

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOLLIDAY, William Clowes
« on: Wednesday 04 January 12 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for William Clowes Holliday who was born on 30 Sept 1831 in Kingston upon Hull, Yorkshire, England.  He was baptised on the 14 Oct 1831 at the Primitive Methodist Chapel there. His father was Thomas Holliday and mother Mary Ann Holliday.  In 1851 I believe his parents, Thomas (my 3 x Great grandfather) and "Marianna" were the Primitive Methodist Minister and his wife who shared the same address in Tower Hamlets, London, as John Petty, author of the 1864 book - History of the Primitive Methodist Connexion. There are extensive references on the internet to this Thomas Holliday, including a section in the above mentioned book, and in the Diaries of William Clowes. He was also a General Book Steward and Publisher for the Primitive Methodists.
It follows therefore that the William Clowes Holliday found below, as shown on Google, could well be the son born in Kingston upon Hull.

Name       Holliday,William Clowes
Culture     Male
Active       1850
Summary  Publisher | Periodical proprietor | Worked:Australia (VIC)
Context     Australia
See also    Cragg & Holliday
taken from www.printsandprintmaking.gov.au/catalogues/artist/8256/william-clowes-holliday.aspx

Please could anyone see if there are any other references to him in Australia 1850 onwards? I could not find him in England, so assume he did not return there.  With many thanks for any help given.