Author Topic: Old photo stuck on glass  (Read 12520 times)

Offline Flynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Old photo stuck on glass
« on: Wednesday 11 May 05 19:37 BST (UK) »
What can I do to get an old photograph out of a frame when the front of it is stuck on the glass?  It has been hanging in a very humid place for the past 40 or so years.  I hope someone can help!
Godfrey-Co. Kerry, Ireland and Kent; Flynn, Clifford, O'Sullivan, & Slattery-Milltown, Co. Kerry, Ireland

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Old photo stuck on glass
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 19:59 BST (UK) »
Soak the photo and glass together in clean water with a few dops of dishwashing detergent. It is more likely to be stuck by capillary attraction [some damp, 2 smooth surfaces] than by any adhesive action. The dishwasher will lower the surface tension and hopefully they will separate. Then lay the photo face up on newspaper and put some clean paper towelling on top.
If it doesn't work I shall deny everything 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 23:14 BST (UK) »
Do you think it will work on a photo printed as a postcard?
Godfrey-Co. Kerry, Ireland and Kent; Flynn, Clifford, O'Sullivan, & Slattery-Milltown, Co. Kerry, Ireland

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Flyn,
   This very topic has been discussed at RetouchPRO http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1664

The general opinion is to scan the photo through the glass first, just in case something goes wrong in the removal process.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 23:34 BST (UK) »
I agree with Deadants!

As long as you allow the photograph to soak overnight, it should come off very easily - just resist tempation to rush it.

When drying it, you will need to make sure it doesn't curl - and any cloths that you use need to be lint free. To stop it form curling you can place a few little things on the edge of the photograph. Allow it to dry out for a goof few hours before handling it - incase you scratch the emulsion.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Flynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 23:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much for your link, deadants. I will be trying the soaking suggestions soon. One question has come to mind after reading some of the information, though... how do I know whether my photo is suffering from mold?

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 23:44 BST (UK) »
Never, never, dry a wetted print with any form of dryer. Oddly, and I handle many hundreds of cleaned prints and maps that have been wetted, they dry flatter by simply hanging up with a plastic peg. But you must first blot off surplus water. as I indicated.
I have found this method better than using a photographic drum dryer - in fact I scarpped mine a couple of years back.
Paper is a lot tougher than you may think and high quality papers do not disintegrate if wetted.
I read all that about Photflo - I suggested some washing up liquid as for this purpose it will do as well. The thread that Deadants posted confirms what I said about reducing surface tension to cause the photo to float clear of the glass. Just remember to have the glass underneath and the photo on top.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 23:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for pointing out the orientation of the glass/photo, hackstaple! I probably wouldn't have thought about it if you hadn't mentioned it. The water that I will be using to soak, should I start out with it being warm or will cold water be better?

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 23:54 BST (UK) »
Can you scan it first before soaking? or is that going to be difficult?
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)