Author Topic: Stuck with a Scottish problem  (Read 6611 times)

Offline JudiSutherland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stuck with a Scottish problem
« on: Thursday 05 January 12 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I've got stuck with a relative named Peter Sutherland, born Wick, Caithness, 1843-44.  I've got his marriage cert. and death cert. which both indicate he was illegitimate with an "alleged father" Joseph Sutherland, farmer, and mother Catherine Forbes.  The couple never married. I've looked on ancestry.co.uk, familysearch.org and Scotland's people and I cannot find his birth cert. or any trace of a Peter Sutherland or Forbes of that age in the 1851 census who is not living with two married parents.

My question is - is there a reason why somebody would have a birth cert which is missing or never existed?  Were there exclusions from the census records for e.g. orphanages or workhouses, and where might I look for him?  I have a feeling he was not brought up by his mother.

all clues very gratefully received.

thanks
Judi
Sutherland (Caithness, Aberdeen), Hedley (Gateshead), Reid (Aberdeen), Laidlaw (Hawick, Northumberland), Carr (Northumberland), Wheatley (Northumberland), Mole (Northumberland), Hill (S. Lincolnshire), Chapman, (S. Lincolnshire), Pollexfen (S. Lincolnshire)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck with a Scottish problem
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 12 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't help with your query but have you seen this IGI entry which gives his actual birthdate

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/9W4B-N7C

EDIT - wrong parents - but what a coincidence with the parents surnames and the birthyear
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 12 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judi,if his birth was 1843/44 it would be parish registers I would think.Statutory births didn't come in till 1855 in Scotland.

Hi Carole,I thought that too,about the surnames,quite a coincidence,as you say.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 January 12 23:16 GMT (UK) »
The father given will almost certainly be correct. There may well be a reference to the illegitimate birth in the kirk session minutes for the parish. Possibly he is in the 1851 census under the name Forbes, perhaps staying with grandparents or other relatives. His mother could also have married and he could appear with the surname of his stepfather.

Graham.

Offline JudiSutherland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 January 12 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham

I've thought of that and thre is no Peter Sutherland or Forbes, aged 8, born Wick or nearby, living with anyone other than his two married parents, or in one case a widowed mum called Christiana.  Peter Sutherland is a common name up there.

I think Catherine was living with her parents in 1851, unmarried, but Peter is not there.  I think she may have married James Reid in 1855.

The mystery continues.
Sutherland (Caithness, Aberdeen), Hedley (Gateshead), Reid (Aberdeen), Laidlaw (Hawick, Northumberland), Carr (Northumberland), Wheatley (Northumberland), Mole (Northumberland), Hill (S. Lincolnshire), Chapman, (S. Lincolnshire), Pollexfen (S. Lincolnshire)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 January 12 23:33 GMT (UK) »
There is no 1851 entry under Forbes or Sutherland that fits his profile.  I have also looked under all Peter's b Caithness 1841-1845 with a mother Cath** but none fit his details

The only unresolved entry I can find is an 1841 for Catherine Forbes aged 25 with children James 4 and Catherine 1.  No husband shown

She is living in Wick with Donald & Esther George and family but I can't find her in 1851

Wick ED 6 Page  2 Line 740
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JudiSutherland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 January 12 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carole, for spending time on this, but I don't think that's her.  She's probably born 1825 and her father is Donald Forbes.  She appears to have no children prior to poor old disinherited Peter, when she was about 19.  Joseph on the other hand was a single farmer in his mid 40s when Peter was born - there's a great story there somewhere!

I would like to look up bastardy orders if I can work out how.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 January 12 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Bastardy orders are mainly an English legal tool, in Scotland you would need to check the Sheriff Court records or possibly more likely the Kirk Session records.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 January 12 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

In the 1841 census at Scottag, Watten, Caithness, there is a 35 to 39 yr old unmarried Joseph Sutherland, staying with his 70 yr old father George with 3 servants.

In the 1851 census, he is 48 yo Joseph Sutherland married to a 25 yo Margaret with a 1 month old daughter, unnamed in census.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.