Author Topic: John Gordon Kinna - Nanmill  (Read 12889 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Gordon Kinna - Nanmill
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 February 12 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Re the 1851 census

You could try here:

http://www.dgcommunity.net/historicalindexes/census.aspx

Transcriptions but probably better than the ones you've looked at. Otherwise, they will be on FindMyPast and, possibly, the family search site and the usual films at records offices.

gnu

Re your last post - so why didn't you say that her parents might be them? It's always best to give full information so that we can have all the information.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 February 12 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the MIs?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 February 12 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I have checked the online ones on old-kirkyards but that is all

I didn't mention her parents names as I have absolutely no evidence that they are her parents despite plenty of looking

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 February 12 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Nothing so far in my booklets but there are two mentions of the surname Ravenscroft in the Minigaff MIs. They might be worth following up -

* Jane Ravenscroft Taylor (d. Lanarkshire 1894, aged 58)  m. a John Matthews (d. Newton Stewart 1873, aged 61)

* William Dunbar, land surveyor, Cree Bridge d 1818, aged 82 wife Margaret Scott, d. 1792, aged 40. 1st daughter, Ravenscroft,  d. 1819, aged 44.  A note on this one that mentions a Dr John Ravenscroft of Cairnsmoor - will 1783, Wigtown.

She might have been named for him or it could be a family name. I think it's worth checking.

gnu

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 February 12 22:48 GMT (UK) »
I agree the Dr John Ravenscroft name is worth pursuing, although if that's the date of his will its probably a bit before her birth, but the location is reasonable.

I did some time last year create a spreadsheet of all the McMillans in Minnigaff but seem to have lost the file unfortunately, I didnt find another Ravenscroft born before her so I don't think its a family name 

Tkgafs

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 February 12 12:47 GMT (UK) »
A search of the birth OPRs on scotlands people only specifying a forename of Ravenscroft, only turns up 2 hits both to the same record which is the birth of Ravenscroft Gaw daughter of John Gow and Elizabeth Kinna on 13/10/1844 in Borgue,

this child is Ravenscroft McMillans granddaughter

Tkgafs

Offline creekside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 February 12 07:33 GMT (UK) »
I have been reading through your posts and am interested in your James Kinna (spouse Ravenscroft McMillian). 

As written in the posts, I believe he was twin to Alexander McKennay /son to Thomas McKennay & Mary Houstone; and brother to Thomas Kinnay**, (son to Thomas Kinnay and Mary Houston) who is in my direct line.   Elizabeth Kinnay lists the same parents, and another sister Mary Kinna lists parents Thomas Kinna and Mary Houston.

**I found his Thomas KINNA Monumental Inscription and a photo of gravestone on that wonderful    kirkyards.co.uk    site I found through rootschat.  The website also has inscription info/photos for James/Ravenscroft's son James Kinna (#13.04 Girthon Cemetery) and daughter Elizabeth Kinna (wife to John McGaw - #116 Borgue Cemetery).   

Are you interested in sharing Kinna info?  I have an ancestry tree called Kinna Grieve if you want to take a look....but I have yet to add all the info about the above mentioned folks... as I am still wrapping my head around the variants for Kinna...

Creekside

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 February 12 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Creekside,

I will definitely  take a look at your tree, and if there is anything to share lets do so

I have the Elizabeth / John McGaw  Mis but not the other two so will go and look at them now

Best wishes

Tkgafs

Offline creekside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 February 12 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I was back looking at the kirkyards site and found MIs for James Houstan/Barbara Jolly (Inscription 35 : Kirkandrews Churchyard).  Other than that website, I don't know of any resources to find MIs for Kirkcudbright... can anyone direct me to another website, book, do a look-up, etc???
I am looking for info on Thomas Kinna/Mary Houston and they are not listed on the kirkyard website.

Thanks,
Creekside