Author Topic: Saltley Reformatory School  (Read 20704 times)

Offline dusty2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Saltley Reformatory School
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 October 13 22:53 BST (UK) »
Well this is a bit embarrassing. Of the pages that I've transcribed so far, I've only missed one - and it's the main page for George Harrington. He was admitted to the Reformatory between 29 Oct 1863 and 9 Nov 1863. Although I don't have the main page, I do have the details from the next page, which is additional information. The parental address seems to have been Darley's Yard, Gooch Street, in Birmingham.

June 7 1866 emigrated to Canada
August 1867 heard from boy near Richmond junction, Canada. Doing well.
November 1869 ditto
January 1870 ditto
April 1875 heard from boy from Valley Fields Paper Mills, Canada, P.Q.

The admissions register is held at the Central Library in Birmingham City Archives. If you contact them, and ask them to look it up for you, they may oblige. It is in the first Admissions Register, entry no. 265.

Sorry about this - I will have to get the details myself next time I am in Birmingham!

Offline alblol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 05:13 BST (UK) »
Dusty2 thanks so much for the info. I will contact the library and see if they can provide me with the info as I am in canada  :D
Do u thunk he was sent to canada by saltley?
Do you know if " heard from boy" implies that George was in touch with them back at saltleys?
Thanks again

Offline dusty2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 09:15 BST (UK) »
There seems to have been various more or less charitable schemes on the go at that period, and quite a few of the boys emigrated, with Canada being the most common destination. Judging by other entries, one of the staff at the Reformatory would accompany the boy on discharge to the relevant port and see them off.

It seems to be quite a benevolent regime, as despite the image of brutality of Victorian institutions, they seem to have taken a genuine interest in the boys. In the additional information page there are often letters from the boys. "Heard from" could mean a letter now lost from the boy or a parent or a fellow inmate who mentions him in passing, or a visit to the Reformatory either by a parent or a former inmate who has been in touch.

If the library is unable to oblige, as it happens I will be going to Birmingham at the end of December and among other tasks want to get the missing information on my visit then. 

Offline alblol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, me again.  Dusty2, I am hoping you can help me out with another look up.  It appears Larceny ran in the family and Georges brother was also convicted and sent to a reform school.  Can you please check to see if he is in your Saltley records.  Name William Harrington.  He was convicted 12 Apr 1869.  The criminal register shows  1CM (whatever that is) and 5 years reform school.  Thanks again!  U R Amazing!!
By the way the library would not do the look up for me for George.  Perhaps you can flip the info to me in December when you go if it is not too much trouble.

Thanks!!

Offline dusty2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 22:27 BST (UK) »
Sorry, William wasn't sent to Saltley. 1CM means 1 calendar month. I'll post the details for George here when I get them.

Offline sarah78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 October 13 19:20 BST (UK) »

Sorry for the late reply, but just to say thanks Dusty for the info on Charles James, much appreciated!

Offline dusty2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 06 January 14 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Went to Birmingham Library to look up the missing William Harrington. Unfortunately, since I did my original  copies,  I forgot that the records in the second admissions register (where William may be found) are misnumbered by 100, so when I photographed the page numbered 265, I should have snapped number 165. Sorry about that - I'll get the right info when I next go to the Library, which will probably be in February.

Offline holidaybiker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 January 14 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dusty2

Is it possible for you to find whatever information of my William Pulley b 1875 Longton, Stoke-on-Trent?
According to the 1891 census, he was placed in the Saltley Reformatory School for Boys - Aston Birmingham. Thank you!

holidaybiker
Carnall, Degg, Harding, Jenkinson, Noble, Porter, Pulley,  Steele, Seabridge, all from the area of Stoke-on-Trent. Staffs.
Whittingham from Stone,Staffs.
Most of all! A male person born 25th October 1949

Offline dusty2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 January 14 10:43 GMT (UK) »
William Pulley age 11
Received: H.M. Prison Stafford
Description: fresh complexion; light brown hair; grey eyes; height 4 ft 3 and a half ins; marks - front part of neck(?) ..... from parents(?) ..... [a bit illegible, can't read this blank bits clearly]; good health; slender
Date received: 26 October 1886 for 5 years
Residence: 10 Gate Street, Longton
Parish he belongs to: Longton
Work: none
Illegitimate?: no
Education: reads and writes imperfectly
Offence: stealing money
Circumstances which led to it: bad company
Date of sentence: 27 Sep 1886 before W M Williamson and W A Addule(?) Esq, Court of Summary Jurisdiction, Longton
Where imprisoned: H M Prison Longton
Sentence: 1 calendar month in prison then 5 years at the Reformatory
Previous convictions: none
Parents: William Pulley (a potter) and Mary Ann Pulley (deceased)
One or both parents dead?: mother
Survivor has remarried?: no
Parental treatment: child well treated
Character of parents: good
Wages of parent: 25 shillings per week
Amount parent commits to pay: 1 shilling and 6 pence per week; ought to pay 2 shillings and 6 pence
Parents residence: 10 Gate Street, Longton
Superintendent of police to collect the money: Mr ..... Evans, Longton, Staffs
Person making this return: E(?) H(?) Hawley, clerk to visiting justices

Hope this helps