Author Topic: Christina CRAIG (nee MILLAR) b abt 1815 Glasgow  (Read 1625 times)

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Christina CRAIG (nee MILLAR) b abt 1815 Glasgow
« on: Saturday 07 January 12 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I’ve been looking for a death record for Christina CRAIG (nee MILLAR, b abt 1815) between 1851 and 1854, as her husband (who she married in 1835 in Govan) James Craig remarried in 1854 to Mary Buchanan.
In 1841 James and Christina were living in Partick, Old Bridore End, Barony
However, she appears as head of household, age 33 in 1851 census with 4 of her children: Isabella, William, John, Mary in Castlewalk St Mathews, Partick, Govan.  (plus lodger Charles Kerr); indicating that they may have separated? I can’t locate a death record for her under “Craig” surname, but wonder if she remarried? I cant find a marriage record for her though.
Any help in locating her remarriage and/or death greatly appreciated.
Craig - Glasgow and Perthshire Scotland; Matthews -Lithgow,Wattle Flat NSW, Co Louth Ireland; Marshall - Broxburn, Scotland and Antrim Ireland; McVicars - Antrim Ireland; McPeake, McAtamney-Co Derry, Ireland, Wattle Flat NSW;  Evans, Richards- Cornwall, Wallsend/Newcastle.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Christina CRAIG (nee MILLAR) b abt 1815 Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 January 12 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Death records pre 1855 are in the main mortcloth records i.e. a record of the rent of the cloth for covering the coffin. Unfortunately they don't give a lot of info where they exist. I can't find a record for your Christina under either surname.

As divorce was uncommon in those days due to the fact it was prohibitively expensive for the majority, the fact her husband re-married does suggest she died and James remarried.

It is possible that she and James had separated but he possibly just was elsewhere on census night - I've found a few like that where the head of the household was recorded with parents rather than where you'd expect them to be.

There are 7 marriages for a Christina Miller on the OPRs on Scotland's People between 1851 and 1854 in Lanarkshire 5 of which are in Glasgow (I searched using Mil*r to handle the alternative spelling of the surname) .

There may possibly be burial records in the Mitchell library in Glasgow so I'd look into that further. I'm not local (sadly) or I'd offer to go and look for you. There are also Poor Relief records there which are worth a look as if she and James were not together she may have had to claim support from the Parish coffers to support herself and the children.

Sorry not to be able to help more

Ann :D
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 January 12 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I think the address would be Old Bridge End. The Partick bridge crossed the Kelvin there.

Forbie.

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 January 12 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Bridge End, was transcribed incorrectly, ta.
Thanks  Ann, guess ive just been clutching at straws, but is more likely she died. However if she did remarry would it be common to use her original surname or her married (ex) name? There are also a couple of Christina Craig marriages but so far none have turned out to be her. My SP credits have run out again. ( expensive business from Australia!)  but will keep plugging away. m
Craig - Glasgow and Perthshire Scotland; Matthews -Lithgow,Wattle Flat NSW, Co Louth Ireland; Marshall - Broxburn, Scotland and Antrim Ireland; McVicars - Antrim Ireland; McPeake, McAtamney-Co Derry, Ireland, Wattle Flat NSW;  Evans, Richards- Cornwall, Wallsend/Newcastle.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 12 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If she did remarry would most likely be as a Millar rather than a Craig I'd think. As unlikely to have divorced due to costs - unless they were quite affluent - if she didn't die the alternative is bigamy except......

The OPR marriage records are usually a record of banns heard prior to a marriage. So unless it actually says they married on the record (which some do) there is no actual proof of the wedding taking place tho it is usually accepted as such.

Ann :D
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-