Author Topic: Marriage of James Atkin, Spalding Mariner  (Read 3994 times)

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of James Atkin, Spalding Mariner
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 January 12 09:02 GMT (UK) »
I have now found three marriages of Atkin Mariners, William to Elizabeth Sarah East in 1842, Robert to Sarah Taylor in 1844 and James to Elizabeth Osborn in 1853 all with groom father John, also a Joseph Atkinson mariner to Mary Towers in 1848 with groom father John. Can these be brothers & should Atkinson really be Atkins? Geoff you found a Joseph Atkin at sea with wife Mary Ann in census 1861.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 January 12 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Geoff you found a Joseph Atkin at sea with wife Mary Ann in census 1861.

Found him now ... at "Sutton Wash" on Elizabeth 33 tons, Coasting Trade of Boston

Joseph ATKIN (mar) 32 Master, Spalding
William JONES/LONES 18 Mate, SPalding
Thomas WILLSON 17 Boy, Crowland

I must confess, I hadn't looked at the birthplace of Jos's wife in 1861 - it was Leicestershire - there is a placed called Plungar - it could be that, but not too clear. :( 

With that in mind, your finding of Mary TOWERS in 1848 is interesting https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J3C2-M2L

Although the Lincs index has ATKINSON, FreeBMD has ATKIN. :) but FreeReg has ATKINSON.  ;)

Now I look at 1851 census
Albert Street, Spalding
Mary AITKIN 25 Mariner's Wife, Leics Plungar
Joseph 2 Spalding
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 January 12 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Geoff, I did have the 1861 census at sea printed out some time ago along with most of the other Spalding Boston registered vessels. I find it difficult to make out Joseph's age however as it has a line through it but it looks like 40 to me. Now your 1951 census has a child Joseph age 2 but the 1861 has a Jos Wm 8 months. perhaps the first Joseph died and they named the next one Joseph William. This seems to by what happened very often in those days. Many thanks for your help

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 January 12 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Just found the baptism of a Joseph, son of Joseph & Ann on 25-08-1848 (only 18 days after their wedding?) and Joseph William on 06-08-1860, also John Richard on 29-09-1865.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 January 12 15:24 GMT (UK) »
... Joseph's age ... but it looks like 40 to me.

Oops sorry!  :-[

I wasn't sure if the crossed out age (at home with his wife) in 1861 was 32 or 52 - I think I must have had the 32 in miind when I found Jos  ::)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Colin 75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
James Atkin, my G G grandfather married Elizabeth Osborn in Spalding on 28th Sept 1853. After she died in 1860, James married his wife's sister Rebecca. As it was illegal to marry your deceased sisters husband at that time, ( it did not become legal until 1907) they went to Kings Lynn and got married there.

Offline Colin 75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
In 1861 there is a James Atkin 1826 master mariner , living with a Rebecca Osborn(housekeeper)
marriage OND 1861 Kings Lynn 4b 1031
James Atkin,same page Rebecca Osborn

Cathy, Rebecca was Elizabeth's sister, who James married when Elizabeth died in 1860.

Offline Colin 75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
In 1861 there is a James Atkin 1826 master mariner , living with a Rebecca Osborn(housekeeper)
marriage OND 1861 Kings Lynn 4b 1031
James Atkin,same page Rebecca Osborn

Cathy, Rebecca was Elizabeth's sister, who James married when Elizabeth died in 1860.

Offline Colin 75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
I have now found three marriages of Atkin Mariners, William to Elizabeth Sarah East in 1842, Robert to Sarah Taylor in 1844 and James to Elizabeth Osborn in 1853 all with groom father John, also a Joseph Atkinson mariner to Mary Towers in 1848 with groom father John. Can these be brothers & should Atkinson really be Atkins? Geoff you found a Joseph Atkin at sea with wife Mary Ann in census 1861.
All 4 are brothers, you have the correct marriages. It is 'Atkin' on Joseph and Mary's Headstone in Spalding Cemetery. James and Elisabeth also have a headstone in Spalding Cemetery.