Author Topic: Transfering Family Tree Maker 2005 data, help please!  (Read 10216 times)

Offline KateW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Gt gt Granny Susannah and Edward James 1864
    • View Profile
Transfering Family Tree Maker 2005 data, help please!
« on: Sunday 08 January 12 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year!

I have all my family tree research on Family Tree Maker (2005 version) and am considering a new PC or Laptop.  Could someone explain to me (in simple terms, please) how I would transfer all the data to a new machine? 
I have FTM backed up on my old PC and have saved the Backup on a Memory stick.   I have tried to save from memory stick to a Netbook but it told me that it needed to know which programme I had saved the FTM in - completely over my head, sorry do not understand what the answer is!!   ???
If I buy a new PC or Laptop, I am now worrying about how I can save FTM across to that.  I am considering an external hard-drive for saving important data (yes, I have had 2 hard-drives failing in the past so probably seem rather paranoid about this!)

Sorry for long explaination and thanks for any suggestions anyone has.   :)

KateW

Offline JeanH

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • We are all products of our past
    • View Profile
Re: Transfering Family Tree Maker 2005 data, help please!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 January 12 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Not an expert but would assume that you would need to put the "Family Tree" programme onto new computer first.  What you are doing is trying to put the files from Family Tree Maker onto new computer - which doesnt understand what you are doing.  Put the programme itself on first, then the files.  Only problem is:
Family Tree Maker 5 is an older programme and it depends on what operating system your new computer is running on, ie, Windows XP, Windows 7 or any of the other versions of the operating system.  I used Family Tree v2006 without any problems but when I upgraded to Windows 7 it said that the v2006 was not compatible with Windows 7.  I eventually bought 2011 version of Family Tree Maker but I dont like it.  Hope this helps.
Yorkshire - Herbert - Phelps - Brain - Baxter - Crowther - Gillen - Rhodes - Ambler - Norton - Robinson - Gloucestershire - Herbert - Phelps - Brain
Suffolk - Clarke

Offline HannahB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 January 12 14:09 GMT (UK) »
So how did you transfer your data?  I have had this problem too and am almost ready for the daunting task of typing it all in to the new programme, but I would rather not! Hannah
New York/Ontario: Buchan, Cronmiller/Kronmuller
Sussex: Harman   
Chesham, Bucks: Plested, Dell, Dwight, Sedgewick, Cordery, Rance.
Alabama: Howton, Anderson, Palmer, Massey, Gwin 
Gt. Gaddesden, Herts; Cook
London/ Bristol; Bellamy, Child
Scotland; McLeod, Shannon
British Columbia: McLeod, Simpson

Offline JeanH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 12 14:19 GMT (UK) »
First make doubly certain that "Family Tree Maker" is working properly on new computer.  When you are happy that it is there is somewhere on FTM, which says import files.  Put your memory stick in and it shoud come up with a list of FTM files which you have copied.  I had loads of trouble find this out but believe me it is so easy, if I can do it, so can you.  Dont go mad and import all the files at once though.  Import one or two then open FTM to make sure it has worked.  If you are still confused I will do a screen capture to show you how.
Yorkshire - Herbert - Phelps - Brain - Baxter - Crowther - Gillen - Rhodes - Ambler - Norton - Robinson - Gloucestershire - Herbert - Phelps - Brain
Suffolk - Clarke

Offline JeanH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 12 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Note to KateW.  What you have backed up is not the actually Family Tree Programme, it is the files for the programme.  You have to put the disc into new computer and install it again, then you can copy files across
Suffolk - Clarke

Offline JeanH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 12 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Just had a good look at FTM2011 to find out how to import existing files.  Click on PLAN, then choose Import from existing files.  (Dont forget to have your memory stick in the drive)  I dont know what version of FTM you are using but it will be something similar
Suffolk - Clarke

Offline KateW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 12 16:52 GMT (UK) »
JeanH , thanks for your advise.  I have now found my FTM (2005) disc (phew!) which will help when I have decided which new machine to buy.  I have a Netbook without a disc drive.  Was wondering if I can transfer information from the disc via a memory stick to the Netbook.

Offline KateW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 12 17:15 GMT (UK) »
I have found the FTM programme an easy and really helpful way to record all the details as I find them but there are times when I wonder if pen and paper aren't more reliable!!   :)

I have unearthed a CD that I saved my FTM data on in 'Read only' format  but it must have been a couple of years ago and I have since added considerably to the family tree.  I can't remember now how I managed to save it and to add to my confusion I have another disc where it tells me I have saved a 'zipped' version as Back-up.

Any suggestions as to how I could update the 'Read only' disc?

Offline JeanH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 January 12 22:29 GMT (UK) »
The only way you would be able to copy the disc of FTM is to copy the actual disc, which is infringing the copywright. You have managed to save the files as read only which will still not allow you to instal the full programme, which is what you need, and it doesnt seem that you have the full programme.  Even if you bought another copy of the 2005 version, without a disc drive you would not be able to instal it.  Sorry I cannot help you further but perhaps someone else on here can.  Regards Jean
Suffolk - Clarke