Author Topic: John and Thomasina NEWTON, Aveley, Essex  (Read 6298 times)

Offline NJ25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John and Thomasina NEWTON, Aveley, Essex
« on: Sunday 08 January 12 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm running out of places to look for information in regards to my suspected six times great grandfather, Captain John Newton.

He was born circa 1700 somewhere in England and was father of John Newton (of 'Amazing Grace' fame) by his first wife, Elizabeth (who died circa 1732). I know the various readily available biographical details of 1732 to 1750, his remarriage to a 'Thomasina', subsequent children and move to York Factory, Manitoba, Canada, to be governor on the 'Prince Rupert' in May 1748 before he drowned in 1750.

What is puzzling me and the family is, did he take his wife Thomasina (who came from Aveley, Essex) and the children that he had by her? Because the trail has gone somewhat cold...

I have found two children born to the couple in Aveley (Thomas born 1741 and Thomasina born 1746) but there the trail stops until my four times great grandfather Thomas Newton (born 1787 UNKNOWN, died 1822 at sea but lived in Deal, England) who was always said to be related to John Newton of 'Amazing Grace' fame.

Any knowledge of the Newtons in Aveley, especially marriage information that may shed light onto Thomasina's maiden name, would be much, much appreciated. There has been a suggestion that they lived at a place called Moor Hall Farm on Lord Dacre's Belhus estate. Thanks guys!  :)

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: John and Thomasina NEWTON, Aveley, Essex
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 January 12 16:12 GMT (UK) »
A Thomasin Newton was buried in Plymouth Devon 8th August, 1783, no age given.and no other info on the image.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 January 12 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Found the marriage

St, Mary Whitechapel, London

John Newton, widower of St. John,Wapping
Thomazine Cox of Aveley
21st November, 1732
by licence

Offline NJ25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 12 19:25 GMT (UK) »
That's splendid, thanks ever so much for finding the marriage. Now we have Thomasina/Thomazine's maiden name! Thank you again.

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 12 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Another child maybe

James Newton
26th January, 1743/44
son of John and Thomasine
St. Mary, Rotherhithe, Surrey

and also a burial for a James Newton, 15th July, 1739
son of John and Thomasin, age looks like 10 days
Collegiate Church of St Katherine by the Tower, London.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 January 12 15:38 GMT (UK) »
FreeREG has the Baptisms of these Children to JOHN/THOMASIN at St Michael, Aveley, Essex;
WILLIAM 05 September 1736
+ the 2 you noted;
THOMAS 21 Feb 1740/1
THOMASIN 12 Sept 1746

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline NJ25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 January 12 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys, this is a massive help in piecing things together and is very much appreciated.

I think John Newton's son, THOMAS born 21 Feb 1740/1 at Aveley, is most likely the direct ancestor I'm interested in and the possible father of Thomas (born 1787 UNKNOWN).

The big question mark is did the family go to York Factory, Manitoba, Canada, with their father in 1748? Who knows!

Thanks again  :)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 May 13 19:33 BST (UK) »
This christening for a Henry took place on the same place as James, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NLFX-ZMJ  exactly one year later.  Parents Jno & Thomason.
 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JWQP-B5F
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline mebow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 July 15 06:34 BST (UK) »

If I may enter this conversation please?  I have two oil paintings said to be of the "two uncles", one has a note on back that says No 2 Harry Newton, half brother from Captain Newton's second marriage. 
Current research suggests that John and Thomasina Newton possibly the couple you are interested in may be connected to the portraits that are believed to be of gentlemen related to Rev John Newton of Amazing Grace fame.  Is there any chance that may tie in with your research?
What I can say for sure is that the paintings came from Sidney Rodman's estate, he died in 1938 in Melbourne, Australia  Sidney Rodman's mother was Sarah Jane Newton, born Belper, Derbyshire 1823 dau of Thomas Newton a Wesleyan minister, bap Breaston, Derbyshire in 1783.   
Many thanks for any help that you are able to suggest. 

Maybe someone may have a painting or sketch of Harry (or Henry) Newton please"? so that it can be compared with the oil painting and can anyone help with the name of the other uncle. 

Hello all,

I'm running out of places to look for information in regards to my suspected six times great grandfather, Captain John Newton.

He was born circa 1700 somewhere in England and was father of John Newton (of 'Amazing Grace' fame) by his first wife, Elizabeth (who died circa 1732). I know the various readily available biographical details of 1732 to 1750, his remarriage to a 'Thomasina', subsequent children and move to York Factory, Manitoba, Canada, to be governor on the 'Prince Rupert' in May 1748 before he drowned in 1750.

What is puzzling me and the family is, did he take his wife Thomasina (who came from Aveley, Essex) and the children that he had by her? Because the trail has gone somewhat cold...

I have found two children born to the couple in Aveley (Thomas born 1741 and Thomasina born 1746) but there the trail stops until my four times great grandfather Thomas Newton (born 1787 UNKNOWN, died 1822 at sea but lived in Deal, England) who was always said to be related to John Newton of 'Amazing Grace' fame.

Any knowledge of the Newtons in Aveley, especially marriage information that may shed light onto Thomasina's maiden name, would be much, much appreciated. There has been a suggestion that they lived at a place called Moor Hall Farm on Lord Dacre's Belhus estate. Thanks guys!  :)