Author Topic: peter brown  (Read 9145 times)

Offline mjac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
peter brown
« on: Monday 09 January 12 10:36 GMT (UK) »
i am looking for peter brown born about 1816 orkney  he married betsy meil and had 3 children  he is on the 1841 census for stronsay but canot find him after that  have found his childrens marriages but where did he come from etc his children were elizabeth ,james and francis (fanny) so any info would be good  and he lives at arraquoy st nicholas stronsay on 1841 census
drever cursiter peace leslie towrie paterson  from orkney charlton sparks kerr young graham from   cumberland and dumfriesshire pirie velian from  orkney and aberdeenshire leslie and malcolmson  from fair isle  shetland

Offline peedielass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: peter brown
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 January 12 12:18 GMT (UK) »
His wife Betsy is at Roadside, Stronsay in the 1851 census and is listed as a widow.  She was born in Sanday.

Offline nainmaddie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 12 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I have found the birth of Elizabeth Meil in Stronsay for you.

9/5/1814
Elizabeth  the lawful daughter of Daniel Meil and Margaret Angus, Stronsay, Orkney. She was born on the 10th April and baptised on the 9th May 1814 by the Rev Andrew Dishington before several witnesses.

OPR Births 031/00/0010/0160.

There does not appear to be a Peter Brown born in Orkney around 1816 although I looked from 1812.  I will have another look after lunch for you.
Jefferiss,Hodges,Gill, Cornwell, Stallibrass,Shirreff, Foulkes (CAE) Foulke(DEN ) Roberts, Owen,Morgans, Jones++ Jenkins,Williams

Offline mjac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 January 12 13:05 GMT (UK) »
thank you for your help i found death cert for betsy in kirkwall 1888 it says widow of peter brown  and gives her parents as  edward meil and betsy peace  but canot find them on scotlands people
drever cursiter peace leslie towrie paterson  from orkney charlton sparks kerr young graham from   cumberland and dumfriesshire pirie velian from  orkney and aberdeenshire leslie and malcolmson  from fair isle  shetland

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 January 12 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi mjac,he died at Stronsay 1846 aged about 32,last entry.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline nainmaddie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 January 12 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I have just seen your message regarding Elizabeth Meil.

There was only one find for Elizabeth in Orkneys for the time period, and I have given the details to you.

Are you using www.scotlandspeople.gov. uk ?  It costs £7 for 30 credits and you can view the index for 1 credit and 5 to see the actual parish record.

The death cert. info. is only as good as the person giving the info at death.  I even got my father's place of birth wrong !!!

Only you can decide whether something is right or not.  I have found some Peter Brown baptisms but will await your instructions.  For Peter , I started at 1800 and found 3 in Orkneys
Jefferiss,Hodges,Gill, Cornwell, Stallibrass,Shirreff, Foulkes (CAE) Foulke(DEN ) Roberts, Owen,Morgans, Jones++ Jenkins,Williams

Offline nainmaddie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 January 12 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry , I should have added that I searched from 1800 -1822.

3 found. 1806, 1811, 1812.

Lunch time !!!!  Back soon

Offline mjac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 January 12 13:34 GMT (UK) »
thank you for all your help  im quite amazed how fast you have found info for me  will keep me going for a wee while

Offline mjac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 January 12 13:36 GMT (UK) »
on 1841 census in stronsay  peter brown was born in orkney but i dont know where so that will be my next wall to knock down