Author Topic: RAF WWII Bomber Command fatalities  (Read 5951 times)

Offline shirtylady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAF WWII Bomber Command fatalities
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 January 12 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,  I have now established that it was double engine failure just after take off.  After some other helpful information from replies, I intend to contact Hendon RAF Museum records.   I would like to find out what the aircraft was scheduled for on that fateful day.   I know it's journey was to Berlin, but was it on a bombing raid, or was it reconnaisance.      This extra bit of information would complete my record for the Uncle I never remember meeting, although I was a babe in arms at the time. 

In view of the fact he was so young and that he was a volunteer reserve made it so tragic for the family at that time.  I know this was the case in so many households.

Thanks for your interest.
Jackson, Harrison, Stubbs, Woollams, Taft, Poole, Wanklin, Reed, Hardcastle, Johnson,

Offline lowanslow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 January 12 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, if there are any records of the crash investigation they will be held on the National Archive site, I have been in contact with those who used to hold the records and they sent me this letter explaining what happened to the records. Hope this helps,
lowanslow.
Purvis/purves. conlon, carson. Birney, monaghan, moore. World war I/II. Raf.

Offline shirtylady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 January 12 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this very useful bit of information.   TNA would certainly be the best option to try.  I have now been in touch with the RAF Museum Archives at Hendon, who were extremely helpful.  On written request, they are happy to supply photocopies of the Lost Bomber Card and/or Accident Card in respect of the Hampden Accident in 1941.   I will wait to see what this turns up, then TNA next stop to see if there is anything in their records.

I will let you know the outcome.
Thanks again.
Jackson, Harrison, Stubbs, Woollams, Taft, Poole, Wanklin, Reed, Hardcastle, Johnson,

Offline carol49cat

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 February 12 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I don't know about the crash but I do know the area as I used to live in Oakham. You could contact the local newspaper The Rutland and Stamford Mercury who have extensive archives and may be able to provide copies of any report at the time.  The contact details are

Stamford Mercury
Sheep Market
Stamford
PE9 2QZ
Telephone: 01780 762255
Email: smeditor@stamfordmercury.co.uk

Offline shirtylady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your suggestion.  I will certainly write to the local newspaper.  Their archives may well have a report.

Thanks again.

Offline shirtylady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I have also been in touch with Gaydon RAF Museum archives who have been very helpful.  I have now received photocopies of the Accident Report Card which explains a little more.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 22:22 GMT (UK) »

Would it be possible for you post a copy here please?

Offline mhstevens

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 September 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out a little more about the death of my Uncle Stanley Eric Taft  in WWII. He died on 7 September 1941 in Empingham.  He was a volunteer reserve in Squadron 144 and was only 20 years old.  I have found out that his aircraft (Hampden I) crashed shortly after take off and this is recorded as being on the Empingham to Ketton road, Rutland, which was NE of the airfield, about 4 miles away from Stamford, Lincolnshire.

It would be interesting to find out the circumstances of the crash.   His gravestone is in Birmingham so recovery would have taken place.   Perhaps there was a newspaper article about the crash, or maybe there is an official record, although I know I will have to apply to the RAF at Innsworth. 

Can anyone offer advice.

Hi,

I am the son of another 144 Squadron pilot (Peter Stevens), who force-landed near Amsterdam upon returning from the same mission on which your uncle was lost.  My father also acted as P/O Roake's Navigator for several ops when he was first posted to the squadron in early April, 1941.

I have a copy of the Squadron ORB, which mentions engine failure as the cause of your uncle's crash.  Being a pilot myself, I would be shocked that it would have been a double engine failure.  Not only would that have been exceedingly rare, but it would have been much easier to recover from than a single engine failure (which causes all kinds of problems in a twin-engined plane due to adverse yaw causing the plane to corkscrew violently into a fatal spin).  With a double engine failure, you would just glide straight ahead into the nearest field.

Please message me if you would like a copy of the ORB page that mentions your uncle's crash.  It does not say "double engine failure", only "engine failure".

Best,

Marc Stevens
Toronto

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 September 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
Harry Moyle's "Hampden File" confirms "engine failure"