Author Topic: Census web sites - keep searching!  (Read 3166 times)

Offline Rosemarie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Census web sites - keep searching!
« on: Wednesday 23 June 04 21:10 BST (UK) »
I've been searching for my grandfather, Patrick Connolly, aged 24, born Widnes since the 1901 census went back online after it was re-launched and at long last I've located him.

He was working/living in Manchester and appeared on the census web site as Patrick Elly! I discovered this by omitting his surname and searching only on 'Patrick', age and place of birth. I'd seen Patrick Elly a number of times before ( I'd gone round in circles, repeating the same searches!) without it occurring to me that this was my grandfather.

A few days ago I made yet another fruitless search and it suddenly dawned on me that Patrick Elly and Patrick Connolly may be one and the same and when I paid to see the image of the actual written page I saw how the mistake had occurred: his name had been written as Patrick Conn Elly and 'Conn' had been omitted from the transcription.

Another of my families, Hatchell, was listed on the 1901 census as Hatchill, on the 1881 as Matchell.

Keep searching and use your imagination!

Rosemarie.
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

IRELAND:CostelloSauce,Hatchell
Connolly/Conneelly(Kilkerrin,Co Galway)
WALES: Flintshire-Roberts
CHESHIRE-Irby: Ledsham,Roberts,Bennett
LANCS:
Liverpool: Howard
Halewood: Ellison, Turton,
Prescot: Cross, Hornby, Prescott
Warrington: Sauce
Widnes: Connolly, Cross, Currie, Prescott
Manchester: Currie
Altcar: Howard, Bolton
ASHFORD: Dale,Ellis
SCOTLAND: Currie,Lindsay,McDonald, Savage,

Offline nora T

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Census web sites - keep searching!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 July 04 14:28 BST (UK) »
in the 1901 census i could never find my husbands g. father g. mother and family, there name was timmis,i thought the census had missed them out. but ,then dot a lady in the usa who is researching the same family, on a whim tried simmis and it paid off.up it came and gave us some new and interesting info.so never say die keep on searching. regards to all nora T
i am researching the timmis family salop. staffs, and cheshire, also the culverwell family, congleton cheshire,and staffs.also jervis, jarvis, staffs and wales,also reece, staffs and dudley

Offline Tess

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Census web sites - keep searching!
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 July 04 23:35 BST (UK) »
I know a Joan Culverwell from Wolverhampton.
Revitt, Fowler, Birmingham. Thickbroom, Foster. Sargeant, Townsend

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Census web sites - keep searching!
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 August 04 16:15 BST (UK) »
Although bad spelling can be fustrating on census it can be amusing I have been looking for smiths Easy name to find you would think even with variations but who would have thought that the name my fred would be listed as is Sonrth. Same for his wife How did they get to that, My expanation is try typing for hours and you start hitting a few wrong ones !!! If you are sure they should be on the census they will be there just use your imagination.