Author Topic: Ducie  (Read 11027 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ducie
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 16:42 BST (UK) »
having searched family search for a birth of Michael Ducie in Kerry and the 1911 census of Kerry no corresponding entries appear in that name,so knowing that most marriages are held in the brides parish the following maybe his second marriage assuming his first wife died in 1924.
Michael Ducie
July Sep 1927
Listowel,ireland
vol 5 page 226  only found two matches for a bride,Nora Ambrose and Margaret Dillon.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 17:41 BST (UK) »
Myluck is my luck.  Thank you (and Dathai again) for your help.  I've managed to find a few other details - the most pertinent being that Michael Ducie was listed on the 1911 UK census and that he appears to have been a private in the British army.

The two possible candidates for a second marriage are interesting.  There would appear to have been a whole crowd of Ducies in Kerry.  On the other hand, Michael had a family life in Carlow after Brigid died (says my half-sister) and there was certainly a second wife there.

Having got this far, then I will invest in some certificates.  I don't yet know the names of Michael's family members other than those you've discovered; but a Stephen Ducie did live (and die) in Staffordshire and there are some letters emanating from there (his descendants).

What I fail to make out is exactly where Michael was born.  I thought Carlow but my (vague)
sources are conflicting.

Whatever - thank you again.

roly
roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 21:37 BST (UK) »
strangely enough theres also a marriage in 1917 for Peter Ducie and there is only one Peter Ducie in Carlow in 1911 so must be Michael's brother,double wedding?.
marriage
Peter Ducie
Jan Mar 1917 Carlow,Ireland.
vol 3 page 315
matches for bride
Nellie Brennan
Catherine Doyle
Bridget Coakley, i wonder is Stephen a product of this marriage.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 September 13 07:32 BST (UK) »
Daithi: amazing (for me).  This is a whole family I never knew about (if your surmise is right).  Perhaps the Peter Ducie who died in 1964 was a product of the Peter Ducie you've discovered.

Incidentally, I have found a passenger list reference to James Ducie who, I know, went to New York (1921).  I also have the usual - vague - information about Stephen Ducie and, luckily, some letters have survived that may enable me to pinpoint him and his family.

And so on...

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 September 13 07:37 BST (UK) »
I must be losing it re. Peter Ducie.  My apologies.  My Peter would have been my uncle(-ish).  I really meant that he may have been named for the older Peter.  In the same way, one of my names is Charles and I often wondered where that came from.  I beieve now that it was given me after the name of one of Michael Ducie's brothers, Denis Charles Ducie.

Life gets complicated, dunnit?

roly

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 September 13 07:38 BST (UK) »
I noted some other info yesterday but didn't post in case it caused confusion
I suggest that following the Certs for proof of family would be best start
Eleanor Teresa's birth
Michael's marriage
Link to census etc
Then work from there

I'll post what I have later
Getting kids out now
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 12 September 13 08:15 BST (UK) »
Myluck - of Eleanor Teresa's birth-date I am certain (she was, after all, my birth mother!) and, through her daughter, Brighid (my half-sister), I've established a life-history.  But when it came to the exigencies of Michael's life it has been difficlt to pin down dates and events.  Bear in mind that my mother lived for much of her life in France and had lost contact with the family in Ireland (and England).  Thus Bighid has been in no position to fill in the gaps.

It's that piecing together that I'm trying to achieve.  I've only just been able to begin tha task through records available on the web and am not in a position to spend much money on the pursuit.

Hence my Roostchat enquiry and the splendid results so far.  I look forward to further information and, meanwhie, am doing my best through an channels available.

That's enough personal history.

roly

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 12 September 13 08:32 BST (UK) »
I suppose what I meant was that the details from the certs would help
i.e. Eleanor Teresa's parents names, occupations and addresses given
to link to
Michael's marriage certificate t Brigid Moore etc.
Looking at witness names and sponsor's names can help tie families members together
and often gives names of siblings and so on

See
Results for Duceys born in Carlow from 1880 to 1900 LINK
which tie with family on census
in previous post where there are births for the family shown on the census
It includes a good match for Michael noting typo of name which was not unusual

just to note blue typing indicates links! just in case.....
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 September 13 16:16 BST (UK) »
you mentioned a Denis,here are two strange births on Family Search in Cairo? Ireland, soldiers children?
Eric J Ducie 1929
Denis Ducie 1931 only gives page numbers no volume numbers but gs film numbers for both are the  same are they births recorded overseas.