Author Topic: Cuthell headstone, St Mungos Dearham  (Read 1214 times)

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cuthell headstone, St Mungos Dearham
« on: Tuesday 10 January 12 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Is there any out there who lives in Dearham, that would be willing to go into the churchyard and have a look for a headstone for Guy Cuthell,  d 15/10/1832 also includes James Cuthell died 4/2/1887 a second Guy d 1865.

It is in the bit that it is kept mown around the church, I do have a picture but it is taken from the side and I cannot read the inscriptions.

I would like a transcription of the head stone or a good photograph.

Hope some one can help, if you need the photograph I can forward.

Frances 13

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
Re: Cuthell headstone, St Mungos Dearham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 January 12 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frances
I Hope this helps

In Memory of Guy Cuthell, the son of James and Elizabeth Cuthell of Ellenborough who died March 21, 1865 aged 22 years

verse

Also 2 other children named Guy who died in infancy

Also the above named James Cuthell who died February 4th, 1887, aged 85 years.

On reverse side of the stone:
In memory of James Cuthell the dearly beloved grandson of James Cuthell who died February 10, 1881 aged 9 years and 8 months.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 January 12 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, a great help. Didn't even know there was anything on the back, quite unusual although the
front does look quite full.

Very interesting I had found one of the infant Guy's but not 2, this will explain the discrepancy in dates. Not a lucky
name.

It makes you wonder who paid for the erection and why buried in Dearham. Up to 1880 all fairly inpoverished,
living in Nelson Street Maryport. So out of parish and not much money. One son William went on to live until his 90's
was an engineer and a board member of the Maryport coop, so maybe him.

Thank you for your help and your time.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 January 12 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Just an observation Frances but to me it seems that everything points to the stone being erected by James and Elizabeth.  It says in memory of Guy... I dont think one of James sons would have erected a stone to his brother and then, almost as an afterthought put in Also of James.  The use of the term "beloved grandson seems to strengthen  hunch that James was behind the erection of the stone.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 January 12 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes you are probably right.
thank you again