Author Topic: Welsby family of Chester  (Read 17758 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welsby family of Chester
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 January 12 11:48 GMT (UK) »
The shop I remember was an opticians I think. It was in recent years, about 10 years ago and earlier. The shop in Bridge St was before my time. The building is still there though.

Jo.

Offline nee Welsby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 09 February 12 01:34 GMT (UK) »
I am John Humfrey Welsby's daughter. He was the last of the line of family wine merchants in Bridge Street, Chester. I can provide lots of information about the Welsby family to Humfrey or other researchers. Thomas Humfrey Welsby was my uncle and the 'black sheep' of the family. He emigrated to California with a lady (not his wife): his brother Sydney was killed in the war in Mesopotamia 9now Iraq), so my father, the only remaining brother, was required to give up his studies (law, in Oxford) and take over the family business. The company records of Thomas Welsby and Co are in the Chester archives. Humfrey was my grandmother's maiden name: she was reckoned to come from a 'good' family so everyone got it as a second name (even the girls).

Offline HUmfrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 16 February 12 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I am sorry for not replying sooner. My father was HUmfrey Walter Keith Welsby, son of Thomas Humfrey. I knew from my mother that he was the black sheep, I do have a photo of him.
My research has been a challenge as I only had my grandfathers name ,and the wine and spirits business,to work on.
I have got back to Henry born 1772,but need to fill in many gaps. I do not live to far from Chester,and will coming to the records office in the city Thursday 23rd of February.
It would be wonderful if you could help with all your information.
Are you my aunt?
                            Humfrey

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 17 February 12 10:21 GMT (UK) »
neeWelsby was your father's first cousin.   Her father and your grandfather were brothers.  So you would be a first cousin once removed. 
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline HUmfrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 17 February 12 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Silvery, I knew I must be something , I have so few relations,so a first cousin once removed is exciting.
         Humfrey

Offline nee Welsby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 19 February 12 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely right. Too short notice for me to get to Chester archives on 23rd though.

Offline HUmfrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 19 February 12 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Nee Welsby,
        I really was not expecting you to come to Chester,sorry if you thought that.
I would like your help,I know nothing about the Humfrey family,my brother had Humfrey as his middle name.
       Did you know my grandfather? When did he go to California ?
       Did you know my father,his brother Oliver and sister Diana ?
I would be grateful for any information you have .

Humfrey

Offline nee Welsby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 20 February 12 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Humfrey - I never knew your grandfather Thomas Humfrey Welsby as the siblings differed widely in age: my father was born in 1908 and your g/father was at least 20 years older., which accounts for your being a generation 'lower' than me. He went to California some time in the late 1910's, I guess. When I travelled round the /states on a Greyhound bus in 1967, I stopped off in Menlo Park, where he was supposed to be, and went in a phone booth to look at the phone directory but found no Welsbys. I never knew your father (or of his existence), or of his brother.  I have heard of Diana and think my father kept in touch for a while with her. Thomas's brothers and sisters (I think in the right order downwards in age) were: Thomas Humfrey, Sydney Humfrey, Ruth H (married name Inwood, lived in Twickenham, Margaret H (married name Browne or Merrick Browne, S of England, always known as Robin, as she was little with thin legs), Audrey H (spinster, had very exciting career in The Hague, Holland and Geneva during the war and afterwards as secretary to the President of the International Court of Justice), Judith H (maried name Benson, husband was a vicar in Presteigne, then Radnorshire) and my father John H. You have in fact LOADS of first cousins once removed, although I am not in contact with most of them. Your great grandfather, Thomas H Welsby's father, was Walter Welsby who married Annie Kate Humfrey. on ist October 1884 - I have a clock in a wooden case (which used to be in a black marble case but wouldn't fit on the mantelpiece when they moved).  It has a silver plaque on the front saying it was a present from the Dee Oil Company for their wedding, with the date.
My father was born at 1 Chichester St, Chester, which is down Liverpool Road, but I know the family lived in Curzon Park later - either 5 Curzon Pk N or S. The Dee Oil Co was near Welsby Villa, I think, but have never researched it - not sure if it was connected with Humfreys or Welsbys. I am very interested in your branch of the family as very little has ever been heard of them. My father was a Freeman of the City of Chester, as were his father and grandfather. Not sure if your grandfather ever took it up before his exodus to the US.  The society of the time in Chester must have been very close, stultifying and easily shocked: divorce was not at all acceptable there.

Re the photo showing Thos Welsby and Co - 40 Bridge St is the building on the LEFT of the photo, with Linenhall St between it and the half timbered one on the R. The interior was fantastic, a real timewarp, going back a long way with gas lighting to all the cellars (3 floors), which also kept the air humid and the temperature constant.

Don't know what else to tell you at present - what else do you want to know?

Offline HUmfrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 24 February 12 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello nee Welsby, thank you for all the information. I would like to know about Annie kate Humfrey,where she came from and who her parents were.
Not a lot to tell you about my side of the family. Thomas Humfrey married Winifred Tysillio Castle Thomas in 1917. Her father was Walter Aubrey Thomas architect of the Liver Biildings and many others in Liverpool.
Children. Diana married Oleg Heoffding they moved to USA after the war. He was an interesting man,he and his brother are worth reading about,just google them.
Oliver John Murray , died 1953 I think it was war related .
HUmfrey Walter Keith, my father  died 1953.
I had a brother Peter Humfrey  he died just over a year ago.

I think some of the silver I inherited  was from the Welsby family.
I had a lovely day in Chester , what a beautiful city,I will go again

Hope to hear from you.   Humfrey