Author Topic: Alfred Megson, Art Dealer, Swan Arcade, Bradford?  (Read 5240 times)

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Megson, Art Dealer, Swan Arcade, Bradford?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 January 12 14:19 GMT (UK) »
may 11th 1865
from report ,    it must be highly gratifying to those who have taken any prominent iterest in the school of design in the town to know that a picture of alfred megsons one of mr w. m. arnundales pupils has been honoured with a place in the present exhibition of the royal acadeny, the subject we understand is named autumn gathering and the picture has already found a purchase

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 January 12 14:39 GMT (UK) »
feb 20th 1868,
   to those interested in the progress of art in bradford it may be gratifying to learn one of mr lobleys old pupils has been succesfull in obtaining for one of his pictures an admission into the exhibition of the scottish academy the subject is fully explained in its simple and suggestive title a dead robin accompanying wich in the catalouge is the following impromtu :-   poor victim of a wanton sport
                                     how shall thy mate her loss deplore.
                                      thy happy mourn of life- how short !
                                       ah, thou wilt never warble more !

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 January 12 14:41 GMT (UK) »
sorry i should have put alfred megson in after mr lobley

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 January 12 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, harrywragg, for pursuing that for me.

Apologies for the slow response- have been out all day.

So Alfred Megson painted, exhibited and sold his own works as wellas dealing in pictures.

Thank you again.

charlotte

Offline Megson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 February 12 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte, Alfred Megson was my great-grandfather. Ironically, I'm just rushing out to an art auction here in Toronto, Canada (art is in my blood!), but first I wanted to ask whether you're related to Alfred, too. Thanks, Susan Megson (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 February 12 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Susan, welcome to rootschat.

I'm not related but haveat least one picture with his label on the back.  I've been trying to date how long it has been in the family- at the time given here they lived in Ilkley, and my grandfather was  an architect in Bradford-.  That would give me a staring point from which to go back.

I'll email you when the rush to Toronto is over ;D

Thanks for your post.

Best wishes, charlotte

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte...and Susan--welcome to Roostchat:

I can't be of much help with information about Alfred Megson's career as an artist and art dealer in Bradford, although I did see, on an Internet search, a few recent auction notices that mentioned Alfred's label being on the back of paintings for sale.

I am descended from a line of Megsons whose common ancestors with Alfred Megson's line are Joseph Megson and Hannah (nee Mitchell) Megson, who had fifteen children after marrying in 1743. I am descended from a son born in 1751. Alfred Megson is descended from son David, born 1766, and the second son to be so named. The first David was born 1758; not sure when he died. But, of course, it had to be before 1766.

Most of my info on the Megsons comes from a pedigree that was researched by a Megson descendant and goes back to about 1545. Send me a personal message if you're interested.

Regards,
John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline Megson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Charlotte and John,

Great to hear from both of you!

Alfred's son, Lawrence, who emigrated to Canada (where I live) was my grandfather.  Thanks for the information about David Megson!

Re. the Swan Arcade shop. We have family documents dated past the turn of the century that mention the business--but none that I've seen, or remember seeing, are specific about how long the shop was in existence. Having said that, I recently purchased a copy of an antiquarian book titled, "Ye Scenes of Olde Bradforde--Strolls Through Some Old Highways and Streets Being an Itinerary Catalogue of Mr. Alfred Megson's Collection of One Hundred Views of By-gone Bradford". Once the book arrives, I'll look through it to see if it includes any biographical information about the Swan Arcade shop that you may find useful, Charlotte. I purchased the book online from The Idle Booksellers, who specialize in books about Yorkshire.

Best,
Susan Megson

Offline stpud2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 May 13 03:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have the Alfred Megson book entitled "Ye Scenes of Olde Bradeforde" It was written for Ms Megson by Arthur North . It describes 100 views of Bradford. I am not sure if it is referring to photos of old bradford or watercolours  or where this collection might be held, if it still exists.

What is interesting for me is the link between Megson and Benjamin Brook Brookes who was a Fine Art dealer at 55 Manningham Lane in the 1891 Census. Brookes had prior to June 1887 worked for Albert Sachs Photographer of Manningham Lane and I suspect when Albert died in 1886 Brookes set up on his own as an Art Dealer but that I need to investigate this further. I think Brookes was a Artist and Photo Water Colourist for Sachs. If Megson is linked to 55 Manningham Lane then both Megson and Brookes would have worked from there but maybe at different times. I dont think Brookes was at 55 Manningham Lane in 1887 but he was in 1891.

What is interesting is that the book referred to above says this " The most interesting series of water colour drawings will be exhibited at The British Gallery, Bridge Street. On April 27th 1891 and the following days from 10.00am till 6.00pm. This implies the book was written prior to 1891. At the back of the book it says " Alfred Megson, Fine Art Dealer, Swan Arcade and North Parade Bradford.

Steve