Author Topic: Jones & Boswell Connection  (Read 5540 times)

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Jones & Boswell Connection
« on: Saturday 14 January 12 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Trying to make a connection-My Great-Grandfather was Obee Jones 1857 Sussex who married Selina Tomset they had a son called Obed 1880 Sussex,Obee had an older brother Samuel 1853 Sussex who married Sarann "sarah ann" Brazeal "Brazil" they had a son called Oded 1876 Sussex, one of these son's I believe married Phoebe Eastwood. I think it was Samuel's Obed,In the 1970's and 80's I had some friend's who's surname was Boswell the father's first name was George and I recall being told that Boswell was not the father's original surname but it had been changed from Hilden, I also recall that they had a grandfather called Obediah Jones I can not recall the Grandmothers first name but I assume that her maiden name may have been Jones and this may be where the connection is, if there is indeed a connection.I know that the Jones lived along side the Brazil,Lee,Penfold and Ripley family's and that my friends the Boswell's were related to the ripley family buty with surname change's it sometime's become just a maze.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones & Boswell Connection
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 12 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Obee JONES married Selina TOMSETT q3 1902 MAidstone Kent 2A 1728

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 12 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Obed JONES married Phoebe EASTWOOD q3 1915 Gravesend Kent 2a 1950

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 19:41 GMT (UK) »
My Great-Grandfather was Obee Jones 1857 Sussex who married Selina Tomset 1902 they had a son called Obed 1880 Sussex,Obee
The family of Obed JONES b 1859
 My Great-Grandfather was Obee Jones 1857 Sussex who married ?????I think you may need to purchase the birth certificate to confirm the mother

Obed 1881 Heathfield Sussex ( b q1 1880 Hastings 2b 38)

My Great-Grandfather was Obee Jones 1857 Sussex who married Betsy HARRIS q4 1885 Fulham 1a 391 and the following were among the children of the marriage
Tom 1886 Heathfield Sussex
Fanny 1887 Hastings
Augustus 1891 Hastings
Gentilda 1897 Hastings

My Great-Grandfather was Obee Jones 1857 Sussex who married Selina Tomset 1902

The latest census suggests that 'Lena' was b 1861 Maidstone Kent, therefore it is unlikely that there were any children of the 3rd marriage

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 14:07 GMT (UK) »
thank you. if the following are the following in your tree .celia b1889 heathfield,james b1890 Dover and Ada b1897 orpington,Thomas married Celia ransley who were witnesses to my Grandmother Gusta's marriage to Alfred Knaves.Obed is recorded as a spelling error "ched" 1857 Rye,Sussex.I had always assumed that Betsy and Lina were one and the same person and since all my Grandparents are long gone and my father never spoke of his family as he ran away from caravan it is nice finding new thing's about your history thank you again.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Strangely enough I have Thomsett and Harris on my mothers side of the family 3x Grand parents Elizabeth Thomsett "all spellings used" and Mercy Harris both in the mid kent area.

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello

No these are not members of my family, me, just willing to help

Will have a look at your latest vcomments to see if we can sort.....

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 January 12 09:00 GMT (UK) »
The earliest point for my Jones Tree is Samuel Jones birth about 1831 at Catsfield in Sussex who married Sarah Day birth about 1831 at Winchelsea in Sussex the daughter of John Day and Sarah Robert,Samuel and Sarah had these children Henry 1851,Samuel 1853,Martha 1854,Obed 1857,Lousia 1859,Elizebeth 1860,Sarah 1863,Ellen 1866,John 1868,Maria 1873,birth years are only estimated most is put together from the census returns with a few BMD cert's and info from various history sites.

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 January 12 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Not sure what access you have to subscription sites

Baptism
Catsfield Sussex
Samuel son of John & Elizabeth JONES bp 09/09/1827 ( you can view on familysearch.org)
died q2 1897 aged 72 Battle Sussex 2b 35 ( can be viewed on Freebmd.org.uk)

1861 RG9 569 161 13
Black DOwn
JANES ( sic) Samuel 33 broom maker
Sarah 30
Samuel 12 ( he is living with the family in 1911)
Henry 10
MArtha 7
Obea 4
Elizabeth 1