Author Topic: McKenna and Harkin  (Read 12541 times)

Offline AuntieMomo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HARKIN, Elizabeth (father James)
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 January 12 23:20 GMT (UK) »
My great-great-grandparents were Ardle McKenna and Elizabeth Harkin(s).  They lived in Scotland from the mid-1800s, but both of them came from ‘Ireland’.  They were both born around the 1830s.  Elizabeth Harkin’s parents were James Harkin and Elizabeth McQuillan and Ardle McKenna’s parents were James McKenna and Roseann McGarvie/MacGarvie.  I’m trying to find out where both Ardle and Elizabeth came from and from there trace their families.  I think Donegal had/has the most Harkins out of all Ireland and so I thought I’d post here. 

I think Ardle McKenna came from Monaghan and there’s one in the Griffiths valuation but for 1860 when my Ardle would have been living in Scotland.  Migrant worker?

I need to find an Elizabeth Harkin that married an Ardle McKenna, with their parents as above, who married some time before 1849 (by which time they were in Scotland) so that I can prove they are the couple that moved to Scotland.  I don't know how to go about this. I have looked up as much as I can, and the people over at the Monaghan forum were very helpful but I've not managed to find my definitive evidence yet.  And there’s so many Harkins and McKennas! Can anyone advise?

Many thanks.  Momo
McKenna McCann Gallacher Kelly Denny Dunipace Falkirk Stirling Longriggend

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HARKIN, Elizabeth (father James)
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 January 12 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Harkin is a common surname in many other counties besides Donegal. Your previous thread on MONAGHAN board said "I believe that he was from Killyloughavoy in Errigal Trough, County Monaghan and that his parents were possibly James McKenna, a farmer, and Roseann McGarvie."
To prevent needless duplication I'm going to merge your latest post with the existing thread.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AuntieMomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McKenna and Harkin
« Reply #20 on: Monday 16 January 12 12:18 GMT (UK) »
In the 1901 and 1911 census of Ireland, Donegal was by far had the most Harkins, having 1335 and 1252 people called Harkin with Londonderry having the next largest amount at 242 and 251.  I realise those figures don't help me find my ancestor but I thought that the greater chance was with Donegal.

There were no Harkin families in Monaghan then which is why I posted on the Donegal part of the forum.  I don't know where Ardle McKenna met Elizabeth Harkins and where they married.  I don't know where Elizabeth Harkins and her family are from but other research points to Donegal, possibly surrounding counties.

Can anyone help me find Elizabeth Harkin and her parents James Harkin and Roseann McGarvie, not from Monaghan?  Elizabeth born around 1830, married before 1849, the birth of her first son (Wiliiam, in Scotland).  Also, was it customary to marry in the parish of the woman?

I would appreciate any advice. momo

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 16 January 12 12:31 GMT (UK) »
If you dont know where your Elizabeth was baptised, but do have possible parents names, then the only option is to try database search of online transcriptions. There are some available on free website, but generally quite limited. Transcripts are available for a number of counties on pay-websites - e.g. RootsIreland, Emerald Ancestors etc. There's no site that covers all counties, it depends on which areas you want to search.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline AuntieMomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 January 12 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Emerald Ancestors?  Deary me  >:(

Thanks Shane, I will try those sites.  Perhaps knowing where the greatest concentration of Harkins were will help me target my searches better.

Thanks for the super-quick reply!

momo

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 January 12 12:39 GMT (UK) »
just bear in mind that 1830 is a little early for RC records - so there's no guarantee there is even a record for Elizabeth's baptism.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline AuntieMomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 16 January 12 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I will bear that in mind, thank you.  Hoping that perhaps there's more possibility of a marriage certificate but again it may be too early.  I will see what I can find.  momo

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 16 January 12 12:47 GMT (UK) »
RC marriages were not registered (i.e. certs) until 1864 - so it's a parish record you need for that too.

S.
My Surname Interests