Author Topic: Carroll in Forkhill, Mullaghbawn  (Read 4994 times)

Offline TriciainOz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carroll in Forkhill, Mullaghbawn
« on: Monday 16 January 12 01:07 GMT (UK) »
I am eager to trace what I can of the Carroll families. My great great grandfather John Carroll and his wife Bridget left Ireland for Scotland about 1881-1882.   I would be pleased to hear of any family connections in Ireland, before and after that time. 

Offline TriciainOz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Carroll in Forkhill, Mullaghbawn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 12 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Oops, got my names mixed up ... the above post should read Michael and Bridget Carroll who travelled from Ireland to Scotland in 1881-2

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 12 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Michael Carroll married Bridget Murphy on 24 Feb 1867 in Forkhill Roman Catholic Church, Newry District. Children I can find-
6 Dec 1867 Patrick
31 Oct 1870 Mary Ann
15 Jan 1873 Bernard

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 12 08:50 GMT (UK) »
You need to start with Scottish records to search for more clues. For example, did they have any children born in Scotland? Scottish birth certificates list date and place of parents' marriage. Scottish death and marriage (for the children born in Ireland) certificates also contain far more detail than Irish ones.
Census records. Have you found all the family in Scottish census records? latest available is 1911 and married women were asked not only how many years married but how many children born/how many children living.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 12 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Seems to be at least 1 other child born in Ireland:

1891 Census- 62 Darnconner, Auchinleck, Ayrshire, Scotland:
Michael Carroll 53 Ireland ironstone miner
wife Bridget Carroll 47 Ireland
son Bernard Carroll 18 Ireland coalminer
son Michael Carroll 12 Ireland scholar
son Peter Carroll 9 Auchinleck scholar
son John Carroll 7 Auchinleck scholar
also 2 boarders

Offline TriciainOz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for taking the trouble to research this for me.  It has helped me pin-point my Grandfather (John) who was 7 at the time of this census. 

Offline TriciainOz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 January 12 09:54 GMT (UK) »
With the help of the site's moderator I've been able to identify my GG GF (Michael) and now I'm stuck on going to the next level to identify my GGG GF.   I know his name was Patrick, father to my GG GF, Michael (b 1837).  There were two families in Mullaghbawn when the 1821 census was conducted and my gut feeling is that I am related to both of them, with one head of house being my GGG GF and the other being a GGG Uncle.  I have used Ancestry,com hoping I could come up with marriage records etc. but couldn't get any wins. 

The families were:
Owen Carroll, Head, Farmer (b 1770) Mary (Wife, b. 1769), Patrick (b 1805) (Possible GGG GF  Thomas (b 1808), Owen (b 1812) Catherine (b 1807) Alice (b 1820) Margaret (b 1818)
In the Griffith Valuations, the names Owen and Patrick are shown.

John Carroll Head, Farmer (b 1767), Cecilia (Wife, b 1767), Patrick (b 1800) (Also Possible GGG GF) Mathew (b 1807), Bridget (b 1801), Mary (b 1810).   In the Griffith Valuations the names John, Patrick and Bridget are shown.   

IIf anyone can advise if thre is some search/database I could refer to to track down the answers, I would be very grateful. 

Mary, Wife, (b 1769)
Patrick (b 1805)
Thomas (b 1808)
Owen (b 1812)
Catherine (b 1807)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 January 12 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry now has the civil registration index (as does www.familysearch.org which is free) but registration of catholic marriages started in 1864 and non-Catholic marriages from 1845 so you need to see if any church records exist. However, many churches do not have records pre-1850 and very few before 1800.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.

Offline Jill Hofmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 January 19 03:21 GMT (UK) »
I am exploring my mother Patricia Carroll Maxwell's (born 1941, in Kilmarnock, Scotland) family genealogy. With the help of a newly discovered Glascow Carroll cousin, we pieced together the puzzle. 

Our Great Grandfather is the Patrick Carroll (b.1867), one of the 5 sons of Michael and Bridget (Murphy) Carroll, who were married in Newry in 1867.  Just as you noted, the family immigrated to Scotland be 1880.  I found the birth records for Patrick, Bernard and Michael who born in Armagh, Ireland.  Patrick was born in Mullaghbawn. Michael is listed on Patrick's birth record as "Farmer" and on Michael's as "Laborer".  The other brothers John (your ancestor b.1880) and Peter were born in Auchinleck, Scotland. 

My GGF Patrick was in the British Army fighting in the 2nd Boar War during the 1891 Scotland Census, so he does not appear in the household. He returned safely, but was killed in action in France in 1915.

I have only been able to find Michael's father was Patrick Carroll and his mother's first name is Mary.  Is her maiden name Dane or Dare?  Did you request a copy of Michael and Bridget's marriage record?  I also know Bridget Murphy's parents were Cormack Murphy (farmer) and Mary Fagan.

I am interested to learn more about our ancestors, Patrick Carroll's (the Farmer) parents.  Do you know his wife Mary's maiden name?  Thanks