Author Topic: Carroll in Forkhill, Mullaghbawn  (Read 5017 times)

Offline Jill Hofmann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carroll in Forkhill, Mullaghbawn
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 January 19 04:18 GMT (UK) »
I discovered a few items and have been updating the family tree on the free website familysearch.org.

1. Patrick Carroll's wife was Mary Dane. This is her name listed on Patrick Carroll's Death Certificate, 27Jul 1867 at age 69. Source: "Ireland Civil Registration 1845-1913"  My Glascow cousin knew Mary's name was either Dane or Dare, so there is a very good chance this is the correct Patrick Carroll, the father of Michael Carroll. 

2. I found the church record for Micheal Carroll and Bridget Murphy's marriage on 14 Feb 1867. Her last name was misspelled as "Murphey" in the database. The extract on Ancestory lists Bridget's father as Cornelious Murphy.  My cousin had his name as "Cormack" which might have been his nickname. He was married to Mary Fagan.  I found a daughter Hannah's marriage record in 1844 listing Cornelious as a widower.  But, I have not been able to find a death record for Mary Fagan.

3. The 1841 Irish Census lists Cornelious Murphy and James Murphy is listed as an "applicant".  I do not know if James is his son. Their address is Kellevy, Armagh, Ire.

I have not been able to find any additional census information.   

I have also not been able to find Cornelious's birth record, or Mary Fagan's birth record.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 March 19 11:14 GMT (UK) »
I have also not been able to find Cornelious's birth record, or Mary Fagan's birth record.
Civil registration of births started in 1864 so you'll need to see if church records of baptisms survive.

I found a daughter Hannah's marriage record in 1844 listing Cornelious as a widower.  But, I have not been able to find a death record for Mary Fagan.
Civil registration of deaths also started in 1864 so there will be no death certificate for Mary. Most Catholic churches did not keep death records so unless there's a headstone or newspaper obituary there may be no record of her death.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jill Hofmann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 March 19 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the helpful information.  I would like to visit the Armagh County area, especially now that I have discovered this is where some of my ancestors lived.  So I can visit various church graveyards looking for a headstone for Mary Dare, Cornelius ("Cormack") Murphy, another relatives. I have also been reading press reports re Brexit's potential consequences and the good news for travelers is the "experts" are not expecting anything to change to break the current peace in this border area.