Author Topic: Birth lookup please John Eggett  (Read 8335 times)

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth lookup please John Eggett
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 07:58 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, EyeDoc, that's an interesting find. I've never heard of Gen Soc.

I think you may have found a record of John Eggett's father and grandfather. The John Eggett I was searching for was married in 1761 and died, aged about 71 in 1806. This could easily be an apprenticeship record for John Eggett's father,also John, which would make Benjamin his grandfather. The same name and occupation make it highly probable the two John Eggetts were related.

(I should add that I don't know for certain John Eggett's father was called John , but it seems probable. If the John Eggett of the record was an uncle it still seems likely that Benjamin was his grandfather.)

If the John Eggett that I have been searching for was born in Gorleston it would explain why I've been unable to find a baptism record since there are far fewer Suffolk records online and he was unlikely to have been baptised at St Nicholas in Yarmouth.

John Eggett and Lydia Winn were my 5 x grandparents- in what way are you related to the family?

Thank you for supplying a new line of enquiry, Jan
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline EyeDoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 18:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying so promptly. I apologise for not writing GenSoc in full - I am new to the site & I cut and pasted my old notes from Society of Genealogists, London website.

I agree that John Eggett mariner apprenticed as a shipwright in 1717, son of Benjamin EGGETT of Gorleston, is a good candidate for being the father of John Eggett born about 1735 (from age at burial) husband of Lydia Winn.

It seems that around Gorleston & Yarmouth you have Eggett and Leggett and Leggat spellings of men who are contemporary shipwrights and mariners. Possibly the Leggett & Eggett families are unrelated (or only far back) if the family at this time could write their own name. however, they may be more closely related if the spelling of their name just varied with where their parish was and if they didn't spell it themselves? I have in my notes collected parish records from those of both spellings in my efforts to join up as many Eggetts as possible to help me trace back my own line.

I found the post that suggested migration of the family along the river route rather than road very interesting. I wonder how the King's Lynn Eggetts are related possibly also initially seafarers like the Yarmouth branch?

"My" part of the Eggett tree has spellings Egget(t) Eggot(t) & Eggit(t) in this period as my branch were probably agricultural labourers or farmers so the family name was phonetic and the spelling depended upon who wrote it and often changed with the handwriting in parish records and even more so when they moved parish. My line starts with a John & Barbarie Eggett who start baptise children in Shouldham Thorpe 1710-1716, West Dereham 1730, Tottenhill 1730-1733 & who progeny found all the Tottenhill Eggetts. There is a John Laiget who marries in 1688 Shouldham Thorpe who could be his father but it is more likely my John was part of the Great Dunham family.

Back to trying to find the parents of John Eggett shipwright born about 1735 who married @ St Andrew's Great Yarmouth in 1761 Lydia Winn (possibly a niece of his boss)

options:

1) John  "of Gorleston" son of Benjamin a shipwright - best candidate, but no Benjamin I think in the family? I haven't found any early Eggett records in Gorleston. The family I have found there spell their name Leggett for example Charles Leggett 1768-1841 who was a pilot.
2) A Thomas Eggot widower married in 1710 @ Burgh Castle near Yarmouth - I cannot find any children baptised & I think usually 1st or second son named after grandfather & John's were John, James, George I think.
3) 6 MAY 1733 @ All Saints Narborough baptism of Joannis son of Joannis & Susan EGGATE - 55 miles Yarmouth & he called his 1st Lydia, 2nd Susanne - This was my favoured option until I found the apprenticeship.

If you find any more clues I will be grateful if you let me know. Happy hunting. Isabelle

Offline aplusstu

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 August 18 12:18 BST (UK) »
I have an interest in the Eggett family that lived in Tottenhill, Norfolk. My great grandmother, Hannah Eggett married a John William Lister. They produced several offspring including my granddad, Archie Lister, who in turn fathered my mother, Joan Maureen Lister.

Interestingly I have recently moved to the Norfolk area and am now living just 30 minutes from Tottenhill. My present focus is Sarah Eggett who was Hannah's mother, but I am having difficulty locating the identity of any father. I know from a marriage certificate that Sarah Eggett's father was John Eggett, a labourer, and I think I know that Sarah may have been in Downham Market Workhouse in 1841 (census record).

Would love to be able to fill in some more details about Sarah and am planning a visit to Norfolk Records Office to view Workhouse minute books. I might even be able to view Tottenhill Parish Records. This might give me an insight into Sarah's parentage.

Any signposting would be greatly appreciated. Some of the Lister family moved to the Exeter area and I know that they too are interested in the Sarah's life and parents.

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 December 21 10:36 GMT (UK) »
It's so long since I posted my original request that I'm not sure whether anyone will be interested in the final outcome, but in case anyone is, I thought I would post my eventual findings.

Eyedoc's helpful reply concerning the apprenticeship of John Eggett, son of Benjamin was a huge clue!
Ancestry has recently included some records from Gorleston among their "Norfolk, England, Church of England Baptism, Marriages, and Burials, 1535-1812". From these I was able to find that John Eggett was baptised  7th Mar 1735 • Gorleston with Southdown, Suffolk, England. He was the son of John (as we suspected) and Elizabeth Eggett. I haven't found their marriage record or Elizabeth's maiden name. They had one other child that I have found, Margaret, baptised 1733.
John died in 1744 and Elizabeth (Elizabeth Eggett, widow.) in 1750.

John senior-he of the very helpful apprenticeship record- was baptised 3th Oct 1703 • Gorleston-on-Sea, Suffolk, England.
He was the son of Benjamin Eggett and Margaret Stone.
Benjamin and Margaret married in Gorleston in August, 1699. They had 6 children in 21 years:-Richard, John, Margaret, Benjamin who died in infancy, another Benjamin, and finally, Rachel.

I don't have any birth records for Benjamin or Margaret, but Margaret died in 1727, described as "Margaret Eggett, wife of Benjamin" and Benjamin died in 1728.

9 years of searching and I finally found him! Many thanks to everyone who made helpful suggestions. :D

Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham