Author Topic: Hughes family  (Read 4773 times)

Offline Bayliss33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hughes family
« on: Tuesday 17 January 12 17:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace my family from Holyhead, Anglesy, North Wales.

The only information I have is that he was born in Holyhead and his name is Owen Hughes. We now he moved to Aberdare, South Wales as he's in the 1891 census.

His wife was Mary Hughes born in Gwenddwr, Breconshire, south Wales.

He also had two daughters named Margert aged 3 and Maud 4 half months in 1891.

Maud Hughes is my grandmother.

Any information about this family or Owen Hughes from Holyhead would be fantastic.

Many Thanks

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 17:35 GMT (UK) »
1901 census has

Jane Lewis 66 widow b Llandilo Carmarthen
Mary E Hughes 13 boarder b Rymney Mons
Maud Hughes 11 boarder b Aberdare Glams
35 Dowlais Top,Merthyr Tydfil,Dowlais
RG13 5028/29/7

I think you,ll find on 1891 census the other daughter is Mary Elizabeth
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bayliss33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for the. Info .I know of Owen Hughes up to 1911 census ,he was living in penywern with his older daughter Margaret  and family but I don't know anything about his life before he moved to Aberdare.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 January 12 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Looking at the 1891 census, Owen Hughes is shown as age 54 with his wife Margaret (not Mary) age 36. The age gap could possibly suggest it is his second marriage - have you contemplated this as an idea?

I think it would be advantageous for you to obtain Maud's birth certificate (if you don't have it already) which would then give you his wife's maiden name.

From this you should likely as not be able to trace their marriage, and then this certificate would provide you with more information including Owen's fathers name and whether Owen was single or a widower when he married Margaret.

Currently in the 1841/1851/1861 censuses, for an Owen Hughes born in Anglesey around 1836, there are too numerous possible options.

However if more details were to hand you may well be able to find the right family in the earlier censuses.

Hope this helps

Alan