Author Topic: William Henry BROWN 2  (Read 2550 times)

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Henry BROWN 2
« on: Tuesday 17 January 12 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Different William Henry Brown. This one was born Liverpool England C1873.( father William Henry Brown not mother listed on MC)   married Elizabeth (Lizzie) Avonia Summers 1894 in Newcastle NSW, their son WIlliam Henry Brown was born 1894 Wallsend.

William and Lizzie were divorced 1899.

William Henry Brown was a sailor and the family story is that he was lost a sea.

I think I have he working on the coastal steamer the Eddystone, it was shipwrecked off WA no hands lost.
 That is all I have on William Henry Brown, maybe he has turned up in another family tree
somewhere.

Muss
if anyone have a

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Brown 2
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 22:32 GMT (UK) »
hi

William Henry Brown  born Liverpool England, Occ Mariner age 24, usual place of residence
Newcastle, NSW father William Henry Brown, Stevdore, mother unknown from MC
They were married in the Registrars Office Newcastle.

I have all the information on Lizzie

Same information on son's Bc the informant was Lzzie.

Not related to William the Convict

Muss

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Muss,

Have you sighted the NSW Supreme Court’s divorce papers held by the NSW SRO?  I have several forebears NSW divorce papers, some have scant info, but those that involve children/child of the marriage are often full of info, and give details about both the petitioner and the respondent... and especially so when no co-respondent named, and even more so when the petitioner is the female and she obtains custody.    So, I have had a look again at one of those forebears files, wife petitioned, wife obtained custody of the children, no co-respondent cited etc.    It is from pre federation times  :)   There among the evidence submitted were the baptismal certificates and marriage certificate for both, plus witness statements from various family members including a parent, an uncle, cousins etc, etc, etc, plus of course the lawyers statement of accounts, fully itemised and the signature on many forms for my forebear.     

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/court-records/index-to-divorce-case-papers   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I only have  the divorce from the newspapers, will look at getting the divorce records.

I wonder how someone knows the name of their father is but not the name of their mother.

makes it very hard when researching  I think she may have been Dora Reynolds.

Muss

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 05:46 GMT (UK) »

Can you give the newspaper reference for the divorce information please.. date?

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 06:58 GMT (UK) »
hi

SMH 20 feb 1899  page 1

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/28250520?searchTerm=lizzie avonia summers&searchLimits=

Muss

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 07:20 GMT (UK) »

Thanks...I can see it now.

He had deserted Lizzie in mid-1895?

With a job that takes him to sea, and a rather ordinary name, it would be easy to avoid detection for three and a half years, and he obviously wanted to stay hidden.

I wonder how the family would have known about a death at sea, or any death at all?

Who are the witnesses names on the marriage certificate please...might be a connection to William Henry?.

If that goes nowhere, and he does not give mother's name on his MC, I am not sure how you could identify him. 

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 07:30 GMT (UK) »
hi

Now you see the problem. the family had him as  Captain  Brown lost at sea.

I found the divorce last year and that has changed the family story.

Witness at marriage  H Berkeby and Robt Neilson  I have no idea who they are.

Thank you all for your help  I do have a 3rd family of Brown that I am researching, they are all nice and neat and in place on the family tree  ( for now)

Muss

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Hey Muss, I have been going through my lancashire census's and did a search for a William henry b circa 1870. There is one very unusual one for one of the 140 odd possibles. This one is living with I would presume his mother a Susan Brown aged 38. William is at age 0 but uniquely was born Sth America. Susan is employed as a servant by a family with the name of Fleetwood from London but they are in Liverpool at Census time. I also presume his father is at sea. ???

Neil ;D
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads