Author Topic: MULLAN or MULLANE/DUVAL  (Read 18131 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: MULLAN or MULLANE/DUVAL
« Reply #36 on: Friday 20 January 12 04:10 GMT (UK) »
NSW Electoral Roll 1870  For NEW ENGLAND,

James DUVAL, residence at Walcha ....

Of course there's no way of knowing from that roll IF this would be your chap, or a descendant .... but  ;)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline bozzo2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 20 January 12 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Majm
I checked the ships list for the Lady Kennaway Oct 13 1841 and I can only see Margaret Mullan his wife, who he married in 1842 in Sydney,I can't see James Duval himself,from what I can understand he was a seaman.

Yes that James Duval at Walcha is James son.
 Cheers
Judy

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 20 January 12 04:44 GMT (UK) »
In the New England district is Mt Duval.

According to this piece it was named after TOL holder JOHN DUVAL

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-factsheet/armidale--places-to-see-20081113-65g3.html

This link to another researcher

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/AUS-CONVICTS/2000-04/0954738817

Sue   
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 20 January 12 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Great finds Sue

Sydney Town c1840s ... transportation of convicted persons ceases ... influx of assisted passengers to take up work previously assigned to convicts led to oversupply of labour and collapse of wages etc ... ships from Britain need many as crew to NSW but far less on return voyages as cargo was goods rather than peoples so crew often were signed on for ONE way free trip to NSW in return for cabin work for their passengers  ... and Sydney infrastructure had trouble coping with this AND the adverse rural drought and economic downturn  and the Flash gangs at The Rocks ran rings around the constables etc etc and reticulated water to households was NOT YET available  so the usual drink to refresh or sustain was often wine etc eg  if the wells were overdrawn

if Mr Duval worked his passage to NSW then he may not actually have deserted and perhaps met his future wife while crewing below deck...

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 20 January 12 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM,
I do not think JOHN DUVAL and JAMES DUVAL are the same man.
JOHN became well-established in the district and part of the pastoralist community.

The only caution I would make is...

There could easily be confusion in items/sightings listing eg- J DUVAL, ex- convict or  J DUVAL, TOL holder etc

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bozzo2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 20 January 12 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks  Sue, I did email that researcher a couple of mths ago and no reply,checked out that Mt Duval the article says named after John Duval who worked in the area around 1830's,so maybe a bit too early,will keep it filed away though.

Hi Majm

The Rocks hey!!! James and Margaret lived in the Rocks,their children was born there I am told.
I have a feeling that James and Margaret most probably met on the Lady Kennaway it arrived Oct 1841 and they were married July 1842.

Hope this link works regarding James Duval a runaway seaman
Cheers
Judy
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article36852476

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 20 January 12 07:21 GMT (UK) »
 :D

Mr Callagar was sentenced to pay £5 fine or 1 month in gaol AND costs of £2 for harbouring a runaway seaman named James Duval as per the newspaper, The Australian of 23 November 1841 .... 

So who was Mr Callagar, and where was he residing, and what was his occupation and why was he accused of harbouring a runaway seaman, and who dobbed and was the seaman really a runaway  ;D

So many questions  ;) spring to mind, but I think you should consider getting the 1853 T of L issued by the Scone Bench .... it is around $15 if you order it from NSW SRO and it is among their reels .... that members of the public can readily access at their Reading Rooms ....

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=65

I read on their website "Each butt provides the following information: prisoner's number, name ship and year of arrival, master of ship, native place, trade or calling, offence, place and date of trial, sentence, year of birth, physical description, the district the prisoner is allocated to, the Bench which recommended him/her, and the date of issue of Ticket. There are also notes on many of the butts referring to matters such as change of district, and conditional pardons"

Cheers,  JM

Offline bozzo2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 20 January 12 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM, I did order that T of L so will see what comes out of that.Again thanks for your help and everone elses.
Cheers
Judy

Offline anita77a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
I have been reading this history on James and Margaret with great interest!
I believe they are part of my family tree also.
The family rumour around how the Duval line came into Australia was always very vague and all I could glean was that there was some kind of Tahitian connection????
Which I found at the time very far fetched....I wonder if the Lady Kennaway stopped at any ports in that vicinity on the way to Australia?
The son of this pair James which ended up in Walcha area married Mary Quinn and had a very large brood are my 3rd Great Grandparents through their daughter Margaret Duval. We still have family airloom which is a spoon which carries the Duval monogram/crest.
Has their been any update on the ticket of leave and whether James Duval the 1st or has anyone found out more about his history before he arrived in Australia?
Thanks
Anita