Author Topic: MULLAN or MULLANE/DUVAL  (Read 18314 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Mullan or Mullane/Duval
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I went back looking for Jame's sentence for that 1844 murder.
Here it says that James Duval was indicted for being an accessory after the fact for that murder (body in the chest) and was acquitted  :)
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article671231

I'm getting confused - I thought the other article said he was found guilty.   I guess it needs more careful reading.

cheers,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline bozzo2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Ros,I am not up with how the convict thingo works,what does it mean by ticker of leave cancelled?
I can see I will be very busy going through all of this and getting everything together in order for future generations.
That runaway french seaman would have to be him too,wouldn't you think,probably after the boat docked,who knows.Will have to try and find out how long he was jailed for.
The kids must of seen and went through a lot before they finally went to an orphange.It made a sad story,but it was an intresting chase. Thanks so much.
Cheers
Judy

Offline bozzo2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Aquitted!!!!!!! sounds better,must of had a faithfull witness I would think.
Judy

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 12:34 GMT (UK) »
He was off marketing with his wife!   :)  (sounds so domesticated) and so could not have been involved in the murder as the body would have taken longer to get into that terrible state.

I think it all needs more careful reading and absorbing. 

cheers,
   Ros

(off to bed now - it was emotionally draining reading about their exploits)

Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Judy,
So it seems that the Nov 1844 article was the coronor's inquest and the verdict of guilty meant that they had to stand trial.  Here in January 1845 the result of the trial is that James is readily  acquitted  :)  :)  The jury didn't even leave the box and he was honourably acquitted with the jury believing him to be really innocent.  :)
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12876734

Overall it seems that the pair just liked their drink too much and were not guilty of major crimes (but the children must have suffered during these drinking bouts).

And let's face it - there was probably more reason to drink to excess in those days (not the least being falsely charged with murder) and no help for those who did.

The newspaper writing is so descriptive and colourful at that time that it makes good reading - but may be a little over the top.
It's probably time to find other sources now.

cheers,
   Ros   

(edit to add:  it does say what a good character he had in 1845 trial - so the drinking started after that)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 21:27 GMT (UK) »
NSW state records convict list does have a James Duval of the Lady Kennaway  getting a ticket of leave in 1841
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchhits.aspx?table=Convict%20Index&id=65&frm=1&query=Surname:duval;Firstname:james

You can pay for a photocopy (or visit the records office)

cheers,
   Ros

Edit to add:  But I can't find any other mention of him as a convict in the links given on the resources.   The SAG databases are temporarily unavailable  :(

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 22:08 GMT (UK) »
From the NSW Gaol Descriptions and Entrance books.   1853  (State Records Authority of NSW)

He is 4'11'', stout and fresh complexioned.  Born 1811 and arrived on Lady Kennaway in 1841

cheers,
  Ros

Offline bozzo2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: MULLAN or MULLANE/DUVAL
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 19 January 12 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Ros,for all your time in researching this story,who knows after going through a murder trail,and finally being acquitted,would turn some people to drink.
I will keep looking to see what else I can find on these pair.
By the sounds of it James Duval couln't speak much English,does anyone know if he would have to been living in England and committed a crime there before coming to Australia as a convict,or did convicts come from France also?
Cheers
Judy

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MULLAN or MULLANE/DUVAL
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 19 January 12 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy,
   I had only heard of tickets-of-leave being granted to transported convicts.  But perhaps free settlers who committed an offence here (such as jumping ship) could be convicted of a crime here and then given a ticket-of-leave.

We need some experts to help ...! :)

cheers,
   Ros