Author Topic: Yetholm Churchyard MI Helen Stewart (Jack)  (Read 6800 times)

Offline Scotborders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yetholm Churchyard MI Helen Stewart (Jack)
« on: Thursday 19 January 12 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Seeking inscription info on Yetholm burial of Helen Stewart, died 10 June 1873, aged 33, in Eckford. Quite possibly named Helen Jack, rather than Stewart after her reputed father. Brought up as a Jack in Sprouston household of her uncle John Jack with her mother (John's sister) Agnes Jack. So maybe Jacks on gravestone too. A "look-up" appreciated - Thanks
Douglas, Tait, Chalmers, Runciman, Jack. Hawick, Jedburgh, Roxburgshire, Berwickshire, East Lothian.

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Yetholm Churchyard MI Helen Stewart (Jack)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 February 12 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm sorry I've checked out the Yetholm MI's also Eckford and Sprouston as you mentioned these villages and I can't find any reference to Helen Jack or Stewart, nor Agnes Jack, though In Sprouston there is a John Jack, Contractor and his wife Margaret Bell.   So there may not be a surviving headstone, or there may never have been one.   

There may be Burial Registers held by Roxburghshire Council, (Helen died 1873) so after compulsory registration, Burial Registers often hold more information and maybe contacting the Council Cemeteries Dept they may be able to help you further.   I'm sorry that I don't have contact informaton though my husband (a Yetholm man) tells me that the office will be in St Boswells.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Cauther Lassie
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 12 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just to add that I'm sure the Burial Registers for Roxburghshire are held at Scottish Borders Council Offices in Hawick. They definately aren't held at St Boswells.

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 12 20:55 GMT (UK) »
hello,

that may be so, but when you go online to Scottish Borders Council, Cemeteries and Burials the Contact details are:

Scottish Borders Council
Council Headquarters Newtown St. Boswells Melrose TD6 0SA

Tel: 0300 100 1800

Email: enquiries[replace with 'at' symbol]scotborders.gov.uk

West Lothian Council Cemeteries Dept, (where we live) offer a service in which case you can ask them to look for a burial and Donna at the cemeteries office will look it up for you the more information you can give the better, she will also arrange to have the lair marked if you are planning to visit and give you the details from the Burial Register, I'm not sure if other councils offer a similar service.

Cauther Lassie
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 February 12 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You are correct but it is a generic number for SBC's Hub in Selkirk but by pressing the correct buttons ScotBorders will be able to get the department in Hawick she needs.

With the same information that you gave SB we are able to provide the same look up service and information in the Borders.

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Scotborders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 February 12 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Folks. I'll get to the burials info at Hawick. It's more than likely that there was never a headstone at Yetholm

Cauther Lassie: Yes the John Jack and wife Margaret Bell are the family that Helen Stewart lived with in 1851 (Census), and are my ggg-grandparents:
John Jack (44, general labourer) and wife Margaret (42) living at Middlemostwalls, Sprouston, Rox., with children Janet (17, farm servant), Jane (16, farm servant), Helen (11, Helen Stewart, illegitimate daughter of Agnes Jack, reputed father: Andrew Stewart), John (9), Margaret (7), Isobella (2). Also Janet Bell (76, mother-in-law, widow, former farm servant, born in Gordon, Berwickshire).

From the RCE death record:
Helen Stewart Jack (33, “sister” and cousin of John Jack jnr) died 10 June at her mother’s (by then Agnes Whilans) home at Cessford Cottages, Eckford, Rox,. Cause of death: injuries sustained in consequence of her clothes having caught fire; no medical attention. Buried in Yetholm Churchyard.

The mystery is that my late grandparents in Hawick visited Yetholm Churchyard for some reason - and I thought it must be a Jack connection as my gran's mother was a Jack.

So that's the story.
Thanks again for your help.
Jim
Douglas, Tait, Chalmers, Runciman, Jack. Hawick, Jedburgh, Roxburgshire, Berwickshire, East Lothian.

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 March 13 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was just wondering if Helen Stewart had any children.

Offline Scotborders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 March 13 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Helen had an illegitimate daughter Margaret (born 12 Aug 1858) who was aged 2 in the 1861 census. In 1871 she was Maggie aged 12, of course, and described as grand-daughter of John and Margaret Jack (at that time Helen was no longer with the Jacks and may have moved to live with her mother in Eckford, where she died in 1873).

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 March 13 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,thought it may be a long shot. I am looking for a Helen Stewart that had a illigitimate son Jasper Stewart. Jasper was aparently raised by his Grandmother Agnes Middlemas. Trying to also find the parents of
Helen Stewart,I only can find a 1861 Census record for
helen stewart age 21, farm servant, in the Stark Household.