Author Topic: Frederick DELL, arrived VDL 1852  (Read 5785 times)

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mortimer Crest. Motto: Press Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick DELL, arrived VDL 1852
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 June 12 05:55 BST (UK) »
Johngirl - once again, thanks for that information.

Gerry - thank you for the 2 further sentences that Frederick received. They weren't very fussed about the accuracy of ages in those days, were they? Frederick is shown as 52 in both 1868 and 1870. He was, in fact, only 43 and 45 respectively.

He died in 1888 and has then only added a further 8 years to his age as he is listed as 60 at death - but this should have been 62/3.

However, I do wonder if there was confusion caused by him being asked what year he arrived in VDL rather than what year he was born because he arrived in 1852. Just a thought.

Thanks once again for the help. He seems to have been a persistent offender and not able to mend his ways. Transportation certainly wasn't any kind of cure for him.

Regards,
Joan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
PERRY,BROWN,DELL,WILSON,HOWSE,FURBY,CROXFORD,ELLIS,KEMPSTER,DRURY Oxford & Berks
GREGORY,DOOTSON,SEDDON,BOARDMAN Hindley/Westhoughton
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 June 12 06:16 BST (UK) »
True ages of convicts in records was always hit and miss.I don`t think one of mine has the same age on a marriage thats adds up the same on their deaths. ;D

My GG Grandfather was aged 30 at the time of his marriage on his marriage certificate in 1857 but on his death in 1903 he was aged 81 on his death certificate. ;D

Happy to be of help Pels but I really should have put the answer in your post not this one.I thought you were asking for OzzieJoan. ;D

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 June 12 06:32 BST (UK) »

Couple more petty crimes.

Frederick Dell tried P.O. Hobart 11th February 1863, larceny, 3 months.

No other particulars.

Frederick Dell tried P.O. Hobart 15th July 1863, idle and disorderly, 3 months.

No other particulars.

Gerry

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 June 12 05:40 BST (UK) »
Gerry, sorry for the delay but thank you for those 2 sentences.

OzzieJoan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
PERRY,BROWN,DELL,WILSON,HOWSE,FURBY,CROXFORD,ELLIS,KEMPSTER,DRURY Oxford & Berks
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 17:07 BST (UK) »
Ozzie Joan,

It is now three years since you last posted about Frederick DELL and I wonder if you are still researching.

He is not necessarily an easy character to research, from his first sentence in 1841 of 7 years transportation, but eventually pardoned after time spent in Parkhurst Prison, and then his second sentence in 1849 for 10 years transportation and arrival in VDL.   I have created a reasonable Biography for him which I am more than happy to provide a copy.   If you reply to this posting I will then send you a PM with my email address or, alternatively, you can respond by PM with your email!! 8)

For the moment,

Tony

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 August 15 05:31 BST (UK) »
Ozzie Joan,

It is now three years since you last posted about Frederick DELL and I wonder if you are still researching.

He is not necessarily an easy character to research, from his first sentence in 1841 of 7 years transportation, but eventually pardoned after time spent in Parkhurst Prison, and then his second sentence in 1849 for 10 years transportation and arrival in VDL.   I have created a reasonable Biography for him which I am more than happy to provide a copy.   If you reply to this posting I will then send you a PM with my email address or, alternatively, you can respond by PM with your email!! 8)

For the moment,

Tony
Hi Tony,
Not sure how many personal messages you will receive. First I forgot to paste my info to you then it said there was too much of it. So, I will send it as an attachment to this and hope you get it that way. I have given you my email in your personal messages.

Regards,
Joan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex