Author Topic: Tracing Irish deaths  (Read 7880 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Irish deaths
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 January 12 23:19 GMT (UK) »
So is this them in 1901
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/King_s_Co_/Tullamore_Urban/Chapel_Street/1471809/

if so have you found anything about the daughter Elizabeth?

chrish1978

« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 January 12 10:29 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth of a Michael Connolly registered in first quarter of 1879 in Tullamore.

Thanks. Yes that would be him as according to his certificate he was born in Dec but registered in Jan

chrish1978

« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 January 12 10:32 GMT (UK) »
So is this them in 1901
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/King_s_Co_/Tullamore_Urban/Chapel_Street/1471809/

if so have you found anything about the daughter Elizabeth?

Yes that's them as the address matches up with the one given when son Michael marries Anne Fagan.

I've not looked at Elizabeth but there is a birth in Tullamore Oct - Dec 1882 which I assume is her

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 January 12 11:17 GMT (UK) »

James - 20 May 1872 - Parents Edward Connolly & Anne Cassens
Mary - 25 May 1874 - Parents Edward Connolly & Anne Casseus
Julia - 18 Sep 1876 -  Parents - Edward Connolly & Anne Casson
Ellen - 24 Jan 1878 -  Parents - Edward Connolly & Anne Cassell
Edward  - 19 Nov 1879 - Parents Edward Connolly & Anne Cassel

Not sure how accurate the information above is as Michael doesn't appear in the search yet I have his birth certificate

those look like extracted civil birth records, so should be accurate, but the collection only shows some of the individual details and is not complete, and also only covers up to about 1880.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

chrish1978

« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 January 12 12:11 GMT (UK) »

James - 20 May 1872 - Parents Edward Connolly & Anne Cassens
Mary - 25 May 1874 - Parents Edward Connolly & Anne Casseus
Julia - 18 Sep 1876 -  Parents - Edward Connolly & Anne Casson
Ellen - 24 Jan 1878 -  Parents - Edward Connolly & Anne Cassell
Edward  - 19 Nov 1879 - Parents Edward Connolly & Anne Cassel

Not sure how accurate the information above is as Michael doesn't appear in the search yet I have his birth certificate

those look like extracted civil birth records, so should be accurate, but the collection only shows some of the individual details and is not complete, and also only covers up to about 1880.

Shane

Widening the search there is an Anne Cassells marrying and Edward Connelly 10 Sep 1864 in Old Monkland, Lanark, Scotland. Is this a possibilty do you think? Not sure why they would be marrying in Scotland though :-\

chrish1978

« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 February 12 11:55 GMT (UK) »
  Name: James Fegan
  Registration district: Ballymahon
  Event type: Death
  Quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1903 
  Volume: 3 / page : 16

Thanks for all your help guys. I received a batch of certificates this morning and they all seem to fit nicely, including the James Fegan/Fagan mentioned above.

Still struggling with a couple so any further advice would be much appreciated:

Ellen Fagan's death -  Born approx 1855, Co. Longford. Age 46 on 1901 census and living in Drumanure. Still alive in 1903 when husband James dies but cannot seem to locate her after this, including on the 1911 census. Can anyone come up with a likely death or possibly a re-marriage for her?

The marriage of Edward Connolly to Anne Cassells. Both are listed as being born in Kings. Co on 1901 census. First child seems to be born in Tullamore May 1872 but I cannot find a marriage in Ireland of an Anne Cassells that matches with an Edward Connolly. The only possibility I can find is the Edward Connelly/Anne Cassells marriage in Scotland in 1866 but why would they have married in Scotland?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 February 12 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Here are the possible Ellen Fagan entries from the BMD Index born 1850s, death after 1901 - none in Ballymahon, but there are a couple in Mullingar district with the age slightly out..  ....

Ellen Fagan deaths

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

chrish1978

« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 February 12 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Here are the possible Ellen Fagan entries from the BMD Index born 1850s, death after 1901 - none in Ballymahon, but there are a couple in Mullingar district with the age slightly out..  ....

Ellen Fagan deaths

Shane

Thanks Shane,

I also found a marriage for an Ellen Fagan in Mullingar in 1907. Is it a case of ordering the certificates and hoping for the best?

Regarding the Connolly/Cassells marriage, I've just realised that there seems to be an older son. A John Connolly has registered one of the deaths of his parents and this John Connolly is listed as being aged 42 in 1911 so born approx 1869. Any thoughts on this at all?

Chris

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 February 12 12:48 GMT (UK) »
If people stayed in one location all their lives it's often possible to take an educated guess as to the correct cert, as long as the name is not too common - but the problem is that often people didn't start off, marry, or end up, in the location you expect, so it's a case of widening the search area to the neighbouring districts, and if necessary widening the date window.

as you say, sometimes you just have to take a chance on the certs and see if anything connected turns up...

Shane
My Surname Interests