Author Topic: LILLICRAP/TREEVE  (Read 13557 times)

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
LILLICRAP/TREEVE
« on: Friday 20 January 12 12:04 GMT (UK) »
I have a will dated Nov 19th 1860 for an Amelia Georgina Matilda LILLICRAP (nee TREEVE) who was the widow of Robert George Adams Welsford LILLICRAP. Apparently thay had a daughter Matilda Frances Adelaide LILLICRAP, but I am unable to locate any details about her.
Robert died in 1850 in Plymouth, Devon.
Amelia TREEVE was born in the Channel Islands, daughter of Capt Richard TREEVE and his wife Henrietta Matilda IMPEY who married in Cornwall in 1813. She had sisters Elizabeth, Marianne Impey and Emma Octavia Augusta, all apparently born St Saviours, Jersey.
Does anyone have access to baptism records for any of the TREEVE sisters or for Matilda LILLICRAP? I am also trying to locate the marriage for Amelia to Robert LILLICRAP. I have census data for 1841 and 1851.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Georgiana02

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LILLICRAP/TREEVE
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 January 12 22:39 GMT (UK) »
I was most interested by your post about Amelia Treeve and Robert Lillicrap. 

Amelia belongs to a branch of my family that currently intrigues me.  Her mother, Matilda Impey, married Capt Richard Treeve in Cornwall in 1813.  Her father, Capt Michael Impey, was the eldest son of Sir Elijah Impey, the Chief Justice of Bengal during Warren Hastings' time there.  Her mother, Henrietta Knight, was the natural daughter of the 1st & last Earl of Catherlough.

I descend from Henrietta's elder brother, Robert Knight, who was Lord Catherlough's heir.  He inherited some 7000 acres in Montgomeryshire and Warwickshire, and lived very comfortably in a house in Grosvenor Square. His daughter and heiress married Edward Bolton King, of Chadshunt, Warwickshire - they were my great-great-grandparents.

The Impey/Treeves were known to the Kings as poor relations, but something seemed to go very badly wrong with them.  Amelia's younger sister, Marion, had an illegitimate daughter in 1850 - possibly/probably by the local vicar, Rev William Corbet le Breton, who was Lily Langtry's father.  The daughter left for Australia in around 1875 where she led a pretty miserable life.  The whole Treeves family seem to have disappeared from Jersey about that time, and Marion Treeves (now Searle) next appears as a children's nurse in Islington.   

Can you throw any light on this?  Where do you fit in?

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello, and thank you for your most interesting reply. I am related to the LILLICRAP branch.
Robert George Adams Welsford LILLICRAP was a paymaster in the RN and was the 6th child of Rear Admiral James LILLICRAP - details of whom can be seen at http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Plymouth/JamesLillicrap1849.html . They were a fairly distinguished naval family. (Heroic deeds and all that)
In Amelia Georgeina Matilda Treeve LILLICRAP's will, (dated 1860) she states that part of her inhertiance is from the late Major TREEVE. She makes reference to her sister Marian stating that should her own daughter Matilda not survive, her estate should pass to her 'older' sister (Marian was actually 5 years younger) Marian Impey SEARLE, wife of Amelia's executor John Phillip SEARLE with survivorship of monies to go to the SEARLE children.
The 1851 census shows Marian, younger sister Emma living with father Richard TREEVE all described as fund holders. Emma certainly went on to own property on the island - she married a John Underwood SEARLE and was receiving income from it as late as 1882.
What was the name of Marian's child?

Offline Georgiana02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 09:43 GMT (UK) »
How very interesting!

It's reassuring that the Treeve family were not shipwrecked at the time of Amelia's marriage - presumably some time in the mid-1840s.

The story of Marian's daughter Barbara Impey (Searle) is told in "About the Impeys" a book by Mrs E.A. Impey, published in 1963.

Apparently this old lady, Barbara Impey, died in Sydney, Australia in 1926 without any known relations.  She was found to have some £1000 hidden away in cash in the house but was otherwise destitute.  Advertisements were put in the papers to discover relations, but with no result.  According to a lady who befriended her, she said that she had been born in Jersey, and that her father was a clergyman.  She said that her mother had never liked her and that, when her mother married, she was afraid of her stepfather.  When she was about 25, her mother had sent her to Australia with £1000, telling her not to come back and not to spend the £1000 until she couldn't work any more.  She seems to have kept it all her life!  She had earned money by doing washing for the family of the lady who told her story, and had otherwise sold magazines door to door.  She could read and write, but was otherwise very simple and innocent - and suffered from deafness.   

In the 1871 census, she was known as Barbara Impey Searle, but in Australia she was known just as Barbara Impey.,

Marian Treeve had several children by Searle, but they could not be traced. Barbara's £1000 is still lodged with the Australian authorities!

With best wishes for your continuing researches

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the additional information. I've come to the conclusion that Emma, (Amelia & Marian's sister) born 1831, married John Phillip SEARLE's father - John Underwood SEARLE. See http://www.jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je/wwwopac.exe?DATABASE=items&LANGUAGE=0&DEBUG=0&BRIEFADAPL=../web/archbrf&SRT0=gc&SEQ0=ascendingOCC0=1&zQ=Underwood,+Emma+Octavia+Augusta+Davis,+nee+Treeve&LIMIT=50 
In 1861, John U, John P, Marian & Emma are all living at the same address as in 1871. Also present is Matilda LILLICRAP - Amelia's orphaned daughter.

Offline Penryn1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my 2nd great grandfather Charles Hasting Treeve was an older brother of your Amelia. In all there were eight children of the Treeve/Impey marriage:-
John Richard Henry 1814
Michael Elijah  1815-1888
George Lovibond 1817-
Charles Hastings 1821-1863
Amelia Georgiana Matilda 1825-1860
Adolphus Cornelius 1826-1848
Marian Impey 1828-1906
Emma Augusta Octavia Davies 1832-1916
I have been researching the Treeve family for many years but your post is the first I have found that deals directly with the family of Richard and Henrietta. I have amassed a fair amount of information with regards to this family and I am very willing to share and compare notes.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have some information on the TREEVEs and believe that here may have been more siblings - Elizabeth born ca 1815 and Frederic William b. 10 May 1819 bapt 30 May. I did not have John Richard or Michael Elijah.

Offline Penryn1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 12:17 GMT (UK) »
hi again

I have copies of Richard's army returns these documents only list my eight. Where were the other two born?
With regard to Matilda Frances Adelaide in the Jersey census 1881 there is a Matilda F A Fielding ,birth place and year fit. Husband Francis W Fielding. Their son Clarence HASTINGS Fielding born St Saviour Jersey 14 July 1868. Hastings is a name that was synonymous with the Treeve/Impey family. Clarence has three kids Charles, Dorothy ADELAIDE and Evelyn. Maybe just coincidental. Only found this tonight so will need to check a bit more.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Frederick William was baptised at St Saviour:
Frederic Wm. TREEVE 30.05.1819  Godparents: Michel Elie Impey & Henriette M. Nicholson (nee b. 10.05.1819)
I'm not certain about Elizabeth. It may be that only 8 children survived.
Interesting find regarding Matilda LILLICRAP - I see that Clarence's birth was registered in Brighton, Sussex. In 1871, the FIELDINGS are lodging with a grocer, James CATCHLOVE and his family in Littlehampton, Sussex. RG10 piece 1109 folio 72 page 1. Matilda inherited quite a decent annuity from her mother, so she would have been a good 'catch'. Please let me know if you unearth anything further on this.