Author Topic: Mary Strawberry b Desoronto, Ont 1865 d Flower Station, Ont 1947  (Read 16142 times)

Offline elmfield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Strawberry b Desoronto, Ont 1865 d Flower Station, Ont 1947
« on: Friday 20 January 12 12:34 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out anything about my G/grandma who was also known as..Long and Alexander. She was a Mohawk and married Angus St.Pierre. Thank you in anticipation.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Strawberry b Desoronto, Ont 1865 d Flower Station, Ont 1947
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 January 12 15:24 GMT (UK) »
births & marriages of some children for Angus (Exedia) St. Pierre and Mary Ann Long ...seems odd that she would switch to Alexander after using Long on earlier docs... http://www.rootschat.com/links/0jw0/
Do you have them on census and if so, which ones and where?  Is she marked as full Mohawk on census or documents, or is this from oral history?

If we are looking for her Mohawk name it may be Noontak tek hah Kwa  ( Strawberry). Where did the story of her adoption come from??  We always keep an open mind regarding oral history, but also remember that it can sometimes get distorted or embellished, or slip forward or back a generation in the passing of the information.... J.J.

I will be modifying each answer of mine, as will elmfield, to remove some banter and try to bare bones to thread related subjects.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 January 12 16:03 GMT (UK) »
from his death in Frontenac I see Peter/Pierre St Pierr & Marie Lacombe as his parents, and he was born C 1857 
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JK69-J87

1891 census as Stperce both of them say parents born Quebec. They in Ontario. Says C church.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1891/001081-119.02-e.php?person_id_nbr=1021838

Right above them, also in Hinchinbrooke Addington are Stewart Alexander, wife Margaret and Louise J. age 4, born to mother late in life and don't see any birth for her?
If the same couple ( wife here is Mary) they are the only 2 in household so was she thought to have been married young, to a Long?
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/Census/household_record.asp?HOUSEHOLD_CODE=1881CN_588608

Some approx dates from census
Angus c.1858, Mary A c.1866, Mary E  c.1886,  Wm J  c.1888, Napolien  c.1889, Francis E c.1891
also adding:Harriett Jane c.1894,  Benjamin Albert 1898, Fred c.1902, Edward Rankin c. 1906, Fred St Pierre,    
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline elmfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 January 12 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the posts..The family you have identified from the 1891 census is definitely my family. I  have no copy of the wedding certificate and all we have is the oral tradition. My grandfather and his siblings always held that their mother was born a  Mohawk and had been orphaned in a fire...she had then been adopted by the Longs or Alexanders who lived at Golden Lake. I am living in the UK so my family investigations are usually limited to my annual visits.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 January 12 18:00 GMT (UK) »
1911 I found them as Sampier Lanark North, Lavant Township ...http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=96032 but no other information for them. 12 visible births...adding Joseph, John & Arthur to above list...and a grandchild Beatrice.

Offline elmfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 January 12 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks...that is my family...I have a copy of the 1901 census.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 January 12 19:27 GMT (UK) »
I just found this query by a rellie ..I had wondered if Mary/Margaret was a Long?  Marriage not found yet...Although it seems unusual that she wasn't with them in 1881 as she was only 15 or so.
http://genforum.genealogy.com/stpierre/messages/293.html
I also see where the surname Strawberrymay have came from, Wm.J. /Amanda Bridget   Payea...where is THAT marriage in 1913?  http://www.payea.net/payearegister.htm

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 January 12 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Some of the marriages say Alexander, so am wondering if she found out her true name later in life....Wouldn't she have been using Strawberry?

Edward Rancon StPierre & Sophia Dorothy Bartrow marriage says Long but death Alexander
Fred St Pierre & Alice Hannah - Mary's surname is Long
Mary St.Pierre & James McGonegal  she gave no surname
Harriett as Sampier & Joseph Bedour Mary's surname is Alexander
John Henry St Pierre & Eliza Gertie Kirkham - Mary's surname is Alexander
Edward Rankin St Pierre & Sophia Dorothy Bartrow  - Mary's surname is Alexander
Francis Xavier Stewart St Pierre & Lillie May Hannah - Mary's surname is Alexander
Arthur Cecil St Pierre & Martha May McCoy  - Mary's surname is Alexander

I wonder if the images will have witnesses that will give us clues

Offline elmfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 January 12 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the trouble you are going to. In fact I am a cousin of the John Watson who placed the link and I know Danny Payea( who is also in the UK) from whom the Payea family information is derived....I added some items for him. I think I need to start and try to find some marriage details. Thanks again!