Author Topic: Mary Strawberry b Desoronto, Ont 1865 d Flower Station, Ont 1947  (Read 16147 times)

Offline elmfield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Strawberry b Desoronto, Ont 1865 d Flower Station, Ont 1947
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Tylenol worked!....Just had a look at the actual census for 1871 at North Crosby, South Leeds....as per the entry for Angus Sampier. The rest of the family include his father Peter 60 b Quebec, his mother, Almena? b Quebec and the following children;  Joseph, Francois,Andrew,Angus,James,John,Mary and two young girls whose surname looks like Burgena...  Mary aged eight and a girl whose name I can't make out... Maggie?(4)

Intriguing! I wonder, is this my family and who are the two girls?

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 15:58 GMT (UK) »
You hadn't said you were missing Angus's ancestry as well. Be sure to post anything else you find so as not to duplicate resources...
I am not pleased with the FHS census entry having everyone out on their own. Only 3 are listed with Peter...they have Maggie's last name as Burgena. Here is their piecemeal version of the 1871.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/records/index#count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3ASampier~%20%2Bresidence_place%3Aontario~&collection_id=1551612
I  also saw a fellow call himself Peter St. Pierre Junior, so there may be another brother for Angus.

Note a Mary with Angline in Addington at page bottom ...so may be connected...brother of Peter, Angus's father?

note:will cross out the 1901 census John & Mary
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline elmfield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I haven't yet searched for details of the marriages you mentioned (20th Jan) but it does seem strange that Mary should have changed her maiden name. I suppose it's possible that, as you suggest, she found, later in life, her real maiden name. It's all very, very confusing.

As for Angus ancestry,  as I have already said, up until now all I had were my cousins notes, copies of the relevant sections of the 1891 and 1901 census' and family recollection....Not really much to go by, especially as memories at times seem to change!

I should have mentioned that my search for the 1871 census was through collections canada:

www.collectionscanada.gc.ca databases/census-1871/001101-119.02-e.php?person_id_nbv=2814763&interv

I am sorry but my PC skills are such that I do not know how to post a copy of the document>

Sorry!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 16:31 GMT (UK) »
The marriage detail should be posted soon... I did not know there were more census images and databases added on the site!!! Here is the image for the St. Pierre family as Sampier transcribed earlier by Elmfield
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1871/001101-119.02-e.php?person_id_nbr=2814763&interval=&i=jpg
To add to the site you can either use their pdf url or shorten the longer url from the jpg reference as I did above so it fits on page. Or to use the long ur, go down to shrink a link at the bottom of the thread page and then paste, click and copy the new link to paste into the thread ( long links distort the page)

I am lost as to the children Maggie Burgena c.1867 and Mary Burgena c.1863 in household
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Now I am wondering if the Stewart & Margaret beside them in 1891 were a red herring? Just as in 1881, nobody else in household in 1871?? If she was in this household then it must have been between censuses.
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1871/001101-119.02-e.php?person_id_nbr=1099714&interval=46&i=jpg
But then there are no other Stewart, and Angus and Mary did call a child Frances Xavior Stewart so could have been after him ( Frank Stewart Alexander a.k.a. Stewart?)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Chomping at the bit so poked about and found them on the fhs version of 1861 census as St Peir, the father is called Peterson here, and seems to have wife Eliza, many years his junior http://www.rootschat.com/links/0jyc/

Ontario Census 1861 North Crosby,​ Leeds,​ Ontario,​ Canada

Peterson St Peir 1806   L C ( Lower Canada = Quebec)
Eliza St Peir 1824  L C
Joseph St Peir 1842 U C ( Upper Canada = Ontario)
Xave St Peir  1848 U C
Henry St Peir 1853 U C
Angus St Peir 1855 U C
James St Peir 1857 U C
Eliza St Peir 1846 U C

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello elmfield and welcome to RootsChat  :).

My goodness, my head is spinning in both directions!

This is pure conjecture at this point but food for thought?

A bit of a time line:

*Angus marries Mary Lamframboise 01 Dec 1882.
*Mary Sampier (husband Angus) apparently dies in 1884. Above her last name is written 'Rasberry' ('Straw'berry connection, possibly?)
*1st child named in a census with Angus b. 1886. Doesn't mean an ealier child or two weren't lost, of course.
*Angus' apparent brother John marries Mary Anne Alexander 23 Dec 1882. They married in Lanark County but both were residents of Palmerston in Frontenac County where Angus and his Mary lived and were married.

I think you alluded somewhere ? that John may have disappeared and Angus and Mary Anne may have ended up together? These facts may suit this type of scenario but as I mentioned, this is just a theory at the moment. I don't know how you would ever prove it.

Marriage transcripts will follow ....

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 04:28 GMT (UK) »
1st marriage ...

Angus Sampierre 24 Bachelor Yeoman b. Quebec? (see later) living in Palmerston, Frontenac County
f. Peter Sampierre
m. Armine Lacomb
to
Mary Laframboise 18 Spinster b. Quebec living in Palmerston
f. Jerry? Laframboise
m. Feby Jarbo?
at Palmerston 01 Nov 1882
witnesses Richard Luker and Josephine Laframboise

On censuses Angus states b. Ontario and 3 of his children state he was b in Westport Ont in their marriage records.

2nd marriage ...
John Sampier 21 Bachelor Labourer b. Ont living in Palmerston
f. Peter Sampier
m. Ermean Sampier
to
Mary Anne Alexander 17 Spinster b. Ont living in Palmerston
f. Frank Stewart Alexander
m. Margaret P Alexander
in Lanark Village, Lanark County 23 Dec 1882
winesses Mary Jane Burghknew? and a John with no last name given

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 04:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for joining in  Polarbear!
Note Mary Jane Burghknew ( is this Burgenous??) wonder if she might be the Mary Burgena from the household in 1871? Oh the spelling horrors...

adding 1881 census: Note if this is correct family would be the Mary who married Angus 1882, died 1884
Jary & Feby both born Quebec in 1881 Palmerton & Canonto, Addington with ( says all children b. Ontario)Mary, Jarmy, Basil, Adeline, Ferlina, Elizabath ***
Left click to magnify http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e328/e008175453.jpg
and here is page 22 with Joseph Semfier, likely Angus's brother and family in the very next household
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e328/e008175451.jpg
( on page 20, five houses previous to Jary is Antoine Rosberry )

adding 1861 census : Jeremiah born Grand Bruley LC* in 1833 in Kennebec,​ Frontenac (* Grand Brûlé ?)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MQ7C-4M1

***Note that John & Matilda are on a later page #26 those are set up wrong!!!

1871 Addington Palmerston, Canonto- Had a tough look because their last name listed as Jeremiah
Jeremiah Jeremiah Feby 38 Adline 1 Calla    3 Jermiah 4  Mary 6 Canonto
also Mary Garbo in household, perhaps mother-in-law?
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1871/001101-119.02-e.php?person_id_nbr=1099998&interval=20&i=jpg

Now this does not solve the Long and Alexander end of it, but could explain why he was thought to have married a Strawberry. We will continue to post any new information we find that may be related to the thread. Note that there were Payea & Rasberry in Palmerston in 1911 now Frontenac