Author Topic: Mary Strawberry b Desoronto, Ont 1865 d Flower Station, Ont 1947  (Read 16141 times)

Offline elmfield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Strawberry b Desoronto, Ont 1865 d Flower Station, Ont 1947
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 January 12 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks....I  am also getting more than a little confused.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 January 12 16:26 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline elmfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 January 12 16:32 GMT (UK) »

:)

Offline elmfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 23 January 12 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. At the moment I am overburdened with information...all of which I find interesting and already I can see a few areas which have added to my knowledge but, frankly,  I haven't yet had time to absorb it all...Put it down to my "senior moments". I am truly grateful for all your efforts.

As I see it Mary could have been adopted by the Alexanders ( who were living next door  according to the 1891 census)  but she had been married to a John Sampier (St.Pierre) in 1882....Could he have been the NWMP of family tradition....If so, and he had gone out west leaving her with his brother Angus,could they have re-married? As Catho;ics this would have been impossible....did she therefore continue to use her adopted name of Alexander? Where does Long come from..?

I am excited about your tracing a Mary Leframboise.....but I think the Mary Sampris is not connected since she died a little too early!Please bear with me and let's not lose our patience.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 23 January 12 17:08 GMT (UK) »
 Imagine how I feel, this is all not my family and my head is spinning.  I do not have access to most of those marriages. The actual images have more information. 
 Mary Alexander may have been another Alexander...or another Marie, we have in the past found several in one family ( French Catholic especially) who use the first birth name Marie rather than the given names...making them difficult to sort out in documents

I have found evidence of a Fraise family in Ontario...as the other marriage reminded me to look for French Strawberry as her parents may have come from Quebec.

However, the Strawberry connection may have been from a previous generation...so all needs to be found from the censuses and marriages to see what the Alexander Long connection is before hanging any hats on the Strawberry name for this generation. 
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline elmfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 23 January 12 17:14 GMT (UK) »
The only documentary, primary evidence I have are the census for 1891 and 1901. I am sorry I should have made this clear before you posted them. I have no BMD's....I have taken on the search for Mary from my Canadian cousins who, apparently, didn't get anywhere beyond tradition.

Offline elmfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 23 January 12 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I do have a photo of Mary. I will scan it!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 23 January 12 17:39 GMT (UK) »
I would love to see a photo of her... :)

adding: as I'd said I will post anything I find which slightly relates to the search. I did find a Long child who is "indigenous" living with another family in 1881 Jane Long born 1869 ( not anywhere near the right area, tho, living with the widow Sarah Burning & family) 
 http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/Census/household_record.asp?HOUSEHOLD_CODE=1881CN_771911
Sometimes when we follow some of these webs it can help find the spider....

Offline elmfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 11:26 GMT (UK) »
 I have now had a chance to compare what I have been told by family and what I know from the census with what you have supplied. I shall ask my Dad, when I speak with him today, about a few queries the information you have supplied raises...to see if he remembers  anything.

These queries , which are not directly related to the search for Mary,  concern Angus' siblings. I have them as a James, a Frank,  an Abraham and a Phillipa...These names have been "handed down", orally. I am pretty sure the record of a marriage between John St P and Mary Anne Alexander on 23/12 1882 are "family"....Lanark is a small place and the dates fit....but, I wonder, was John another brother or was it Angus' other name( my own father has 3 names and has been known by 2 of them!)

I think the 1871 census detailing Angus Sampier might be family...his age would be about right....and  with the family coming from Quebec they could well have settled in Crosby.

I think the St P's in the 1901 census for Nipissing are not  my St P's..since we know they were living elsewhere!

Thanks once again....just off to take a couple of Tylenol! :)