Author Topic: Charles Crossan and Helen Jane Mathieson  (Read 12304 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Crossan and Helen Jane Mathieson
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 October 16 23:45 BST (UK) »
Is Harry, died 3 October 1942, the son born in Glasgow on 5 April 1902 and registered as Henry after his grandfather? Or was there another son named Harold who died on 3 October 1942 and is buried in Yokohama? And if so, when was he born?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 November 16 17:38 GMT (UK) »
A supplementary question relating to this family. Charles Crossan, 94 Bogside, son of Charles Crossan, dealer, married in Derry in 1935.

Charles Jr was born at 110 Bogside. Several of his sisters were born at 94 Bogside.

In the 1911 census, the family are listed at 94 Fahan Street.

What, if any, is the relationship between Bogside and Fahan Street?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 November 16 13:47 GMT (UK) »
hi, the bogside was an area Fahan street would be part of that.

regards Mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 November 16 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Map showing Fahan St. & Bogside area-
http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/images/maps/derry.gif
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 06 November 16 13:59 GMT (UK) »
hi, the bogside was an area Fahan street would be part of that.

Thank you.

So could 94 Fahan Street and 94 Bogside be the same house?

Offline freyjg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 06 November 16 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Their Daughter Isabella Francis Crossen married William McCafferty in Glasgow.  I am working on their grandson Raymond's ancestry.  I am new to Irish research and any help will be appreciated.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 06 November 16 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Their Daughter Isabella Francis Crossen married William McCafferty in Glasgow.  I am working on their grandson Raymond's ancestry.  I am new to Irish research and any help will be appreciated.
I have seen the marriage certificate of Wm McCafferty, aged 43, 2 Donegal Place, Derry, son of James McCafferty, labourer, to Isabella Crossan, aged 28, 94 Bogside Street, Derry, daughter of Charles Crossan, dealer in cattle. They were married by Wm Murphy, CC, in the Roman Catholic Church of Strabane, County Tyrone, on 7 February 1935, and the witnesses were Charlie Crossan and Bridie Crossan.

William McCafferty was born on 22 April 1889 in Port Glasgow, parents James McCafferty, carter, and Mary Ann Breslin, who were married in Strabane on 1 August 1885. In 1901 and 1911 the family were living in Londonderry.

Offline ronan mccauley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 August 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
Charles crossan was my great grandad iv an old aunt might have information on them. One of the old stories is they had the first house in derry with electric light. And was not short of money ment to have been very wealthy

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 10 September 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Ronan, that is very interesting. I apologise for being slow to responde, but I have been away from home and had missed the e-mail notifying me of your reply.

I would be very interested in anything your aunt would be able to tell me about the Crossan family.