Author Topic: William Francis Dubock BROWN  (Read 17848 times)

Offline garvin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Francis Dubock BROWN
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 07 April 12 04:22 BST (UK) »
We are currently cleaning out under the house and boxing up for the move back to the coast and I was under strict instruction to get rid of a lot of my "collectables"  - but not this one!

I knew that some one might treasure it.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 07 April 12 05:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Welcome from me too....

Definitely definitely definitely do NOT mis-place this, please, please do not let it out of your sight.  ;D  ;D

There's likely to be some RChatters away on their hols, and some of these will have been involved in re-uniting family Bibles to their originating families.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline garvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 07 April 12 05:44 BST (UK) »
T'is safe - on the desk now next to the computer.

I'll scan in the handwritten notes later today for all to see.

The front chapter is missing, starts at the tail end of Genesis Ch 15 and very water marked but the pen scritpt's are just legible but someone has taken the time to copy some of the faded ink entries.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 07 April 12 09:42 BST (UK) »
I'd definately be interested in seeing a scan of those pages. ;D 

William Horatio Brown's "3rd wife", as it seems she didn't recognise the marriage as legal, is a sideline on one of my trees as her mother was one of my ancestor's second cousins. 

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 07 April 12 11:20 BST (UK) »
So would I.   :)
You can post them on here, Garvin.

I've had the satisfaction of returning an old family bible to present days descendants, with the help of Rootschat and Mr Google, so I hope you can do the same. If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Dee   :)

Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 07 April 12 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hello again scan didn't work so I've photos to attach

Offline ROSJAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 08 April 12 02:59 BST (UK) »
Hi garvin,
What a surprise to find that there was a family bible! I am extremely interested to know what else is written in it as I come down through William Frances Dubock Brown's son William Goodlad Brown. Waiting for more.
Regards,
ROSJAN.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 08 April 12 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Garvin

Very interesting as Rosjan has said.  I would imagine that it must have belonged to William Horatio and Susanna Brown because I can't see the children necessarily knowing the exact times they were born. ;)  Obviously came down through one of the children's family.

Did you intend to post two of the same page as it does look at the bottom that there was some other text?  Seems to include Louisa's baptism too.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 09 April 12 02:25 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am delighted to see the scans. 

I wonder if the person recording this may have been interested in charting horoscopes?  I ponder this simply because in one of my forebears Family Bible ... well several of the entries include the "o'clock" times for births too.  And, in my case, these also were for births in Sydney Town in the 1810s.   The person who gifted that Family Bible to me had been very involved in family history searchings for decades prior to their death in the 1960s. So they did their research the 'old fashioned way', long before this hobby was at all popular.  Their private papers show that they suspected that the 'o'clock' details were to help establish the exact latitude and longitude and time and position 'in the heavens' when each baby was born, and they presumed this was for their chart (no no no, not the family tree chart, but their ‘astrological chart’.  So, for example I read that when one of my ggg grandmothers gave birth to her Sydney born children the Family Bible notes their name details and then the time and the exact location of the residence.   In my case, those children's baptismal records (images at the NSW State Library, rather than the typed Early Church Records certificates from NSW BDM) show the occupation of their father.

So for example from the scans uploaded by Garvin, I read that Susanna Anabella Brown Daughter of WHQT Brown of His Majesty’s Government Hospital, Parramatta, was born on 11th January 1819 at 9 pm.  And when her older brother (the chap that this thread is about, William Frances Dubock Brown), was born, WHQT Brown was ‘of Sydney’ (rather than at Parramatta).  To my way of thinking, there’s quite a distance between Sydney Town and Parramatta in 1819 !

Of course, on other branches of my NSW forebears trees, I can at times have scant info, so I really appreciate the benefits that are available from Family Bibles.

Cheers,  JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.