Author Topic: McGowan of Collooney  (Read 3052 times)

Offline teamonn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGowan of Collooney
« on: Saturday 21 January 12 11:38 GMT (UK) »
i have a joseph mcgowan born in collooney in 1878 and moves to durham about 1900
i know about his life in england as its my G Grandfather however can't find anything about his irish past.
i've found a john joseph mcgowan 1878 in collooney but nowhere in his life or gravestone was he ever referred to as John, so any ideas or help is much appreciated
o'dowd, mcgowan, sullivan, mullen, o'loughlen

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: McGowan of Collooney
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 12 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a marriage record for your Joseph ?

It should show a father's name and occupation which might help confirm, or rule out, that possible birth...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline teamonn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 January 12 11:48 GMT (UK) »
i know he married ellen sullivan in 1906 in sunderland but haven't got a copy of the certificate thats probably next avenue thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 January 12 11:51 GMT (UK) »
a quick comparison of the two certs should tell you if he's a possible match or not.

Some births were never registered, particularly in the early years of civil records .. so there is a possibility that your Joseph does not have a civil record, in which case you would have to check for a baptism for him.

Another possibility is that he was registered before a first name was decided - so would appear as [male] McGowan in the index and register

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Sue McGowan

• RootsChat Extra
  • I came to nursing quite late in life, having been an Audio-visual technician in a former life. Redundancy then forced me to rethink my carer, followed by my parents'? decline into ill-health- Mum with Parkinson's and dad with lewy body dementia. I have be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My Grandparents were Joseph and Ellen McGowan, my dad was Charles. He told me that he was born and brought up in Scotland but I have seen a record of a Charles McGowan born in Sunderland in 1915 (his birth year). I am confused and bewildered and have very little info about my family. Would like to know more if anyone can shed any light?

Offline teamonn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 18:39 BST (UK) »
Sue
We are related.
My grandmother teresa was Charlie's younger sister.
My grandmother is buried with her parents at new oscott in Birmingham.
Family history has your father being forced to marry ?? After the war he borrowed a suitcase off his brother to go away for the weekend and disappeared ?? My mother seems to remember him turning up in Birmingham once with a son (your brother ?)
Ask away but he was definitely not Scottish ha ha

Offline Sue McGowan

• RootsChat Extra
  • I came to nursing quite late in life, having been an Audio-visual technician in a former life. Redundancy then forced me to rethink my carer, followed by my parents'? decline into ill-health- Mum with Parkinson's and dad with lewy body dementia. I have be
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 June 16 20:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info.
Ha ha indeed, the joke is on me. I am sure you will appreciate that this is a bit of a shock as reality appears somewhat different to what I grew up believing. I found out later in life that my dad had been married before and had, what I was told, two sons. I obviously never knew them. I understood that there was some sort of family rift but didn't know what exactly. It's a;; a bit mind blowing!

Offline teamonn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 June 16 20:31 BST (UK) »
Sue
No joke on you at all the family is very fragmented. Drop me an e mail and I'll let you have what information I've managed to collect.
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 June 16 21:51 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.