Author Topic: Ballaghavinga?  (Read 4999 times)

Offline bsheehan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Ballaghavinga?
« on: Saturday 21 January 12 19:23 GMT (UK) »
I recently came across a record of my grandmother's birth on Familysearch.org. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate the birthplace given: "Ballaghavinga, Waterford, Ireland". It doesn't appear in lists of Waterford place names I checked at the County Waterford Library web site, and even Google comes up with nothing. I'm guessing that it might be either a transcription error, or maybe just a non-standard anglicisation of the Gaelic place name? There is only one other birth record, also from 1877, that shows up on Familysearch with this placename. Does this name ring a bell with anyone? Or perhaps someone could suggest another source I could consult?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG62-YL9

Mary Casey b 26 May 1877 Ballaghavinga, Waterford, Ireland, daughter of Michael & Stasia Morrissey Casey

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Ballaghavinga?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 12 19:42 GMT (UK) »
here's the matching Index record -

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBSR-C31

so the registration district is Dungarvan, which covers part of the south west of the county.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 January 12 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps Ballaghavorraga- see http://www.thecore.com/seanruad  to find townlands in Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 January 12 20:02 GMT (UK) »
the townland of Ballaghavorraga is located about 8km (5 miles) to the north east of Dungarvan - close to the location marked Ballymarket on this google map :

Dungarvan to Ballaghavorraga

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bsheehan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 January 12 22:13 GMT (UK) »
I think Ballaghavorraga is probably it- thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I had previously been given information placing Mary and her family in Shanbally, which the Ordnance Survey map shows as being just north of Ballaghavorraga, so it makes sense.