Author Topic: Approve School boy 1950  (Read 27059 times)

Offline ip164jf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Approve School boy 1950
« Reply #36 on: Monday 18 May 15 16:54 BST (UK) »
I forgot all about this group.  Oops, put it down to old age. It has been interesting reading the posts since my last one.  I left the CS in March 1963 after serving almost my full three years.  I would have gone a few weeks earlier but we were snowed in and couln't safely travel out.

RetiredOldie, you must have been working when I was there.  When not in the block I was in St David's house.  I split my time between the dairy with Boot Borlace (a gentleman) and the kitchens working under the chef, who taught me a lot.  I think when you spoke about boys helping with gardening I think you were referring to "voluntary work" that boys could do for staff.  It wasn't always gardening, it could be any odd jobs the staff member wanted doing, and as you say, tea and cakes were the order of the day, as was a shilling or so.  I had the best job, I used to polish the headmaster's silver cutlery in his kitchen.  Mrs. Kelly used to give me 1/6p then I would go over to the office and Mr Kelly would also pay me.  I kept this going for a while but when they realised he just laughed, clipped me round the ear and said don't try it again.  Despite serious problems I had there most of the staff were good decent people, a pity the whole place was spoiled by just a couple of members of staff.

Offline Gaz50

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 17 January 16 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hiya! new on here, registered to try and find info on the cotswolds community as it was known during my stay, which was 1978-83. I do not know if anyone has contacted you from that era? i am pursuing a case regarding abuse against us boys by a former Borstal worker there, as during my time the community was meant to be for deeply disturbed and vulnerable children.

Offline azeral360

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 10 June 16 14:05 BST (UK) »
hi all
I was there from 1964 for 18 months St Davids House i was abused by the housemaster who used to take me to his rooms  i was only 14 yrs....I to can tell you stories.. i remember every inch of that place
Paul

Offline Robert Dennis Bolton Livingstone

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi I also was a child in the Cotswolds community school for boys.. I have set up a Facebook page called the Cotswolds community school. Where I've put loads of photos of it new and old. I hope to see you on there and hear your story

Offline pamitchell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 25 May 18 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hello I am asking a question of anyone who was at the cotswold Approved School around 1958 to 1965 if they knew Stephen Terence Vass he would have been about 15 years old. I am trying to help his brother find out some info

Offline pamitchell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 10 December 18 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Would anybody on this site about The Cotswold school remember Stephen Lamberth. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Kev Tate

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 12:31 GMT (UK) »
The Cotswold Community was open in the 1980s 1990s and closed down in 2011 after Action for Children sold the land to developers. The community before Action for Children was run as a therapeutic community for teenage boys who had social issues. The community now belongs to Hills Quarry Products/Amita Business LTD/ The Acorn Group

Offline StGeorges

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 15 March 20 13:34 GMT (UK) »
I am 80 years old ex Cotswold approved school resident, i was there from 1954 until 1956 my house was St George, i resent any suggestion of abuse by staff physical or sexual comments being related of this time 1950s must be reading some form of book and making their opinions from what they have read. I don't speak of any other approved schools but comments made about the Cotswold approved school are totally misleading and not based on facts I make this comment because I was one of them boys, 99% of all staff were married with children and lived within the school premises,  and unfortunately as they would be in there 100 years plus they can not defend themselves from such malicious gossip.
I could say a lot more about Cotswold Approved School if any body is interested

Offline mikethebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 29 August 20 21:21 BST (UK) »
Your copy post
I don't speak of any other approved schools but comments made about the Cotswold approved school are totally misleading and not based on facts I make this comment because I was one of them boys, 99% of all staff were married with children and lived within the school premises,  and unfortunately as they would be in there 100 years plus they can not defend themselves from such malicious gossip.
I could say a lot more about Cotswold Approved School if any body is interested End

St David’s Jock Anderson was not married and your wrong Don’t paint the school as a holiday camp no burning smoke without fire .
I was there with many more we know what went on after dark night after night ....I remember the Ambulance arriving late at night to take the Bleeding lad away We never seen him again in St Davies 
FACT
Jock had a young inmate accuse him in a (Hushed up) court case of buggery perhaps it was the same lad ??     Jocks solicitors accused the lad of lies ...accused him of sex with a much older inmate.
Jock Anderson got off Scot free NO charge   He got dismissed from Running St David’s house but remained in the school grounds until he found outside accommodation living in Cirencester.
I was told after I was discharged  Jock was badly beaten up by a discharged inmate that went back for revenge I don’t know if this was true .I was a mate of Keith Cole in St Gorges
All the best mike