Author Topic: James Weir and Jean Mitchell of Old Cumnock, Ayr (De Vere family connection?)  (Read 14101 times)

Offline CarlaGee39

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I am researching the family of David Hamilton Weir, son of David Weir (b. 1778, Old Cumnock, Ayr)  and Margaret Hamilton (b. 1778, New Cumnock, Ayr). My interest is centered around James Weir and Jean Mitchell (parents of David Weir snr), which is where the research get's a bit hazy and uncertain. I have researched as far as John Weir and Agnes Hunter (parents of James), and William Weir and Jean Good (parents of John), however, feel some doubts as to whether the information gathered is correct.

Many people on Ancestry.com have noted that the brother of John, Hugh (son of William Weir and Jean Good), traveled to America where he owned a plantation. Once again I have no idea if this information is correct. Others have noted a connection to the powerful De Vere family.

I would love to know what I can follow for certain and what information has minimal backing. Also, if you have an extensive knowledge of the descendents of the De Vere family I would love to know if you think a connection is plausible. Please help!!

Kind Regards,

Carla Grillo

Offline bill sparrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Weir and Jean Mitchell of Old Cumnock, Ayr (De Vere family connection?)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 September 12 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am of the David WEIR - Margaret HAMILTON line.

David WEIR married Margaret HAMILTON in 1802. David was the son of James WEIR (born about 1748 at Blackfaulds, Old Cumnock, Ayrshire). He married Jean MITCHELL in about 1770.
David was born on 24 May 1776 at Blackfaulds. James and Jean had about 9 children.

From my narrative:

"David Weir of this parish (Old Cumnock) and Margaret Hamilton of Kirkconnell gave up
their names for proclamation on the 20th March 1802. Were regularly proclaimed immediately following Sabbath and no objections being offered were married on the 2nd
April 1802.
Unfortunately, this record gives us no indication to the identity of David Weir's parents.
This is not an unusual occurrence. This record of the marriage is better than most as some
marriage records only contain a list of names putting forward their names for proclamation..

However, there is a strong possibility that the parents of David Weir were James Weir (born about 1753) and Jean Mitchell (also born about 1753)

James Weir and Jean Mitchell had 9 children;

John Weir, born about 1771
Robert Weir, born about 1773 and possibly who died in 1854
James Weir, born about 1776 and possibly who died in 1849
David Weir, born about 1778, and who married Margaret HAMILTON on 2nd April 1802
Ann Weir, born about 1781 and possibly who died in 1848
William Weir, born about 1786 and possibly who died in 1824
Margaret Weir, born about 1787 and possibly who died in 1857
Thomas Weir, born about 1790 and possibly who died in 1869
Mary Weir, born about 1793 and possibly who died in ?

The line of descendency follows David Weir and Margaret HAMILTON

Between their marriage date of 1802 and 1823, David and Margaret had ten children.
James  Weir, born  BEFORE  24 May 1803  at New Cumnock, Ayr. Christened 24 May 1803, Cumnock, Ayr and died 12 November 1879 at Cumnock, Ayr.
[Source IGI ]
Mary Weir, born  before 15th November 1805. The lawful daughter of David Weir and Margaret Hamilton

John Weir, born  possibly on 1st September 1806 . He was christened on 7th December 1806. The lawful son of Davie Weir and Margaret Hamilton.

Robert Weir, born before 17 October 1808, the date on which he was christened at Waterhead, New Cumnock, Ayr.
Jane Weir, born before the 26 December l812, the day of her christening,  lawful daughter of David Weir and Margaret Hamilton. Died after 1841

Alexander Weir, born before 1 July 1814 at  New Cumnock. Died after 1841
Margaret Weir, born 17th February 1817 lawful daughter of David Weir and Margaret Hamilton
Sarah Weir , born 1st February 1819 lawful daughter of David Weir and Margaret Hamilton of Waterside
William Weir, born before 26 May 1821 when he was  christened at Waterhead, New Cumnock, Ayr. Died after 1841
Ann Weir, born 26th May 1823 the lawful daughter of David Weir and Margaret Hamilton

The terminology "lawful” indicated that the parents were married. If not married the child would be referred to as "natural".

Any connection ?

Bill

Offline CarlaGee39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Weir and Jean Mitchell of Old Cumnock, Ayr (De Vere family connection?)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 September 12 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,

Yes there is definitely a connection. I am researching this line for my partner's family. They are descended from David Hamilton Weir, the son (which I noticed you don't have) of David Weir and Margaret Hamilton. He was born in 1811 in Waterhead, and died at the ripe old age of 97 in 1908 in Maffra, Vic, Australia. He emigrated from Scotland in 1838.

How are you related?

Cheers,

Carla

Offline bill sparrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi CarlaGee39,
My lineage is through (David WEIR + Jean MITCHELL) to (David WEIR + Margaret HAMILTON) to (John WEIR + Ann McCLYMONT) to (James WEIR + Jessie STEVENSON) to (John WEIR  + Janet CUTHBERT) and then (William WEIR + Joan PARRY).

Although I do not know of a De Vere connection, I think there is a connection from Margaret HAMILTON to The Earl HAMILTON +Lady Brogha.

Billy

Offline Gunthwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 October 12 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
In the Old Cumnock Church yard there is a headstone to James WEIR, late in Auchingibert, who died 30 June 1810
age 72 years.
A testament for this James WEIR makes mentiion of a (2nd?)  spouse named Janet HOWATSON

Alastair

Offline dizzydal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 October 12 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
I am the Great Great Granddaughter of David Hamilton Weir and Elizabeth Doran whom he married in 1841 in Melbourne.  Their daughter Ann was my Great Grandmother and she was born in Stratford, Victoria, Australia in 1846 and married John Pruden in 1872 at Maffra.
I only had the family tree as far back as David Weir Snr without any dates, so am thrilled to read about others with dates and spouses.
Can anyone throw any light on the de Veres.  I read somewhere that the de Veres were knights who probably came over with the Duke of Normandy in 1066.

Pat

Offline Kilmichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 October 12 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill
Im just starting to look at my family tree and your information is so helpfull, I have a scrap of paper from an old aunts bilble and it looks like i am off the same line as you described. though from james weir/ david weir and onto william weir who i believe the duke of argyll brought tenneant farms into argyll from ayrshire to improve farming.  Do you know anything of this. I believe to Cour at skipness and if you look at history of muck web site my great great grampa is mentioned there.  Do you have any more information.

John Weir

Offline Johnlweir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 November 13 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I've traced my ancestry back to James Weir and Jean Mitchell via their son Thomas (b. 1790), but haven't been able to find James' birth in any parish records. Does anybody know what records link him to John Weir and Agnes Hunter? I've seen this connection on Ancestry.co.uk, but I've also seen them claimed as parents of a James Weir also born in 1748, but with a different spouse and children. I'm hoping to find a source other than Ancestry.co.uk family trees so I can be more sure if the link!

Best wishes,
John Weir

Offline Jamesgraemeweir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 March 20 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi CarlaGee39, I saw your post of numerous years ago on the subject of James Weir and Jean Mitchell of Old Cumnock. I hope I may be of help as James Weir 1748-1810 was my 4 x Great Grandfather.
Regards Graeme