Author Topic: James Weir and Jean Mitchell of Old Cumnock, Ayr (De Vere family connection?)  (Read 14130 times)

Offline bill sparrow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Weir and Jean Mitchell of Old Cumnock, Ayr (De Vere family connection?)
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 April 20 12:11 BST (UK) »
In my records I have
The direct line of ancestry has been traced back to an entry in the Old Parish Records of Scotland.
David Weir of this parish (Old Cumnock) and Margaret Hamilton of Kirkconnell gave up
their names for proclamation on the 20th March 1802. Were regularly proclaimed immediately following Sabbath and no objections being offered were married on the 2nd
April 1802.

Unfortunately this record gives us no indication to the identity of David Weir's parents.
This is not an unusual occurrence. This record of the marriage is better than most as some
marriage records only contain a list of names putting forward their names for
proclamation.

Between their marriage date of 1802 and 1823 David and Margaret had six children.
Mary born 15th November 1805. The lawful daughter of David Weir and Margaret Hamilton
John born 7th December 1806. The lawful son of Davie Weir and Margaret Hamilton.
Jane born  26December 1812 lawful daughter of David Weir and Margaret Hamilton Margaret 17th February 1817 lawful daughter of David Weir and Margaret Hamilton
Sarah Weir born  1st February 1819 lawful daughter of David Weir and Margaret Hamilton of Waterside
Ann Weir born  26th May 1823 the lawful daughter of David Weir and Margaret Hamilton

The terminology  "lawful” indicated that the parents were married. If not married the child would be referred to as "natural"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: James Weir and Jean Mitchell of Old Cumnock, Ayr (De Vere family connection?)
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 April 20 12:46 BST (UK) »
You missed out
James, baptised 24 May 1803
Robert, baptised 17 October 1808
Alexander, baptised July 1814
William, baptised 26 May 1822

And there is a David, parents David Weir and Margaret, no surname given, baptised on 1 July 1812 in New Cumnock, whom you should perhaps investigate?

The family were at Waterhead, New Cumnock, in 1841: David, 60; Margaret, 60; Jane, 25; William, 20; Ann, 15; and a 3-year-old Robert and 5 servants including a 10-year-old Jane Weir. All born in Ayrshire.

I think James and Alexander may both have been still farming in Ayrshire in 1851.

So assuming that David's and Margaret's ages in the 1841 census are accurate, they were born between 8 June 1776 and 7 June 1781.

**IF** they followed the naming tradition, you would expect David's parents to be James and Jane, and Margaret's to be John and Mary. However they didn't name their third son David, so they may not have been following it.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kilmichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 November 20 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graeme
Sorry i have just read your message from march.
I will need to look at info my aunt gave me about them being on muck. Only hard evidence i have is from all the websites from the island and i went to the island open day one year with my aunt and cousin. On the island there is a monument to one of the families sons who died in a boating accident so they then moved to islay i believe because of this. I have some photos of them on islay if any one is interested.

John i see your middle name is with an L. Funny thing so is mine. my middle name is luke.

John Weir

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 November 20 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kilmichael,
keen to look at your connections between Islay and Cumnock.
As nothing in my Weir material mentions Islay.
But i do not have a comprehensive genealogy.
Feel free to add photos of monuments/known facts to this post to help us expand our understanding.

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.