Author Topic: Army Records  (Read 10486 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Army Records
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 07:46 GMT (UK) »
If anyone wishes to read more about the members of the Irish Army who joined the British army in WW2, and the difficulties they faced on their return, the BBC has an article on it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-16680453

It's perhaps worth adding that large numbers of people from the Republic of Ireland still join the British Army to this day, where they are particularly welcome, according to a report I read, because of their high standard of education and excellent motivation. A reason one Irish recruit gave for choosing the British Army over the Irish Defence Force was that because Ireland is neutral you only get to do peace keeping roles, whereas with the British Army they got to see "some action". Brave people.
Elwyn

Offline artisann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • For all the help I have received ..
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn
Thank you so much for your reply and the link...really want to find out about this part of my grandads life and you have given me some understanding of what it was all about.
Many thanks again really appreciate your reply. :)

Offline artisann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • For all the help I have received ..
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn
I have just finished reading the link you put on here, can I say once again a big thank you for that, what an intresting read!! I have learnt so much from the link now all I need to do is find out about my grandad, (with so little info that I have), will put the question to the Forces link like Heywood suggests and just maybe somthing might come of it, but for now my understanding of thoses men who joined is much clearer.Thank you.