Author Topic: Army Records  (Read 10491 times)

Offline artisann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • For all the help I have received ..
    • View Profile
Army Records
« on: Monday 23 January 12 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Where would I look for a record of my grandad being in the English Army I know he was at some point not sure of the dates....I know the house that he lived in was provided by the English army which later tennents were able to buy....just to say he was born in roscommon and lived there all his life...could someone answer why these men joined the English army???....was it for the pay??? just intrested.
Many thanks for reading this

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Army Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 January 12 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Do you have dates for your grandad?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 January 12 22:21 GMT (UK) »

could someone answer why these men joined the English army???....was it for the pay??? just intrested.

Difficult question to answer unless you know someone who can give a personal answer, but I suspect that for many it was the same reason that young men (and women) the world over join up. To get a trade, steady pay and to see a bit of the world.

Despite a general prevailing wish for independence from Britain, there has never been any shortage of Irish people volunteering to join the British Army. That apparent paradox is perhaps a useful insight into the complex relationship the two countries have with each other. As an example, after having obtained independence from Britain in 1922, during the second world war (when Ireland was neutral and not involved) 5,000 members of the Irish army (10% of their whole force) left and joined the British army. De Valera wasn’t very pleased and most forfeited their Irish pensions as consequence.
Elwyn

Offline artisann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 January 12 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Heywood many thanks for your reply... no dates am guessing sometime in the  1920s

Offline artisann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 January 12 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn
Thank you so much for your reply and your explanation that was really helpful.... :) Thank you

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 January 12 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn answered your query in much more detail which is really interesting. I was just wondering how the dates would fit. Presumably the house had previously belonged to the British Army.

There was an interesting programme on Radio 4 just a short time ago about the Irishmen who fought in World War 2 and I think there is a campaign about their receiving pardons for the actions taken against them which Elwyn has touched upon.

Offline artisann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 January 12 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Heywood once again thanks for your helpful reply..I have only just started looking into Grandad's army life all i know is what mum told me and like most things wished I had asked more questions while mum was still alive.
Do you know by any chance where i would look up army records....even with so little info at the moment.
And yes Elwyn's answer was very good and interesting.
Thanks again

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 January 12 23:54 GMT (UK) »
If he was in the British Army, you would need to know more details. There are some records re WW1 online but your grandad was later.
You could ask on the Armed Forces Board here on rootschat for advice.

Offline artisann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 January 12 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again Heywood for your help  :)