Author Topic: Lookup request UK incoming & outgoing  (Read 16229 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request UK incoming & outgoing
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Below is a reference to the Harry Willsner who was in saskatchewan. Canada in 1913.

http://www.sgeu.org/sites/sgeu.org/files/Chp_1.pdf

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline bishenbertie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find any marriage record for Hubert.
Westbrook - London, Oxford
Squibb, Brooks - London
Kingcombe, Parsons, Penny, Crocker, Brooks - Devon

Offline bishenbertie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 22:39 GMT (UK) »
You know Sandra I saw that on BMD, but dismissed it as not mine because Harry married Emily BIRD in 1890, and in 1901 she was living with another man Alfred WYATT as a "friend" and in 1911 she was still living with him as a Housekeeper, and it states in the census return of Alfred WYATT that she Emily WILLSMER is married 21 years and never had children - so I presumed she and Harry never divorced.  But I suppose it is possible that they did in fact divorce.

/quote]

I have searched for a divorce but nothing is showing don't forget divorce was very expensive in those days and its quite common for people to go off and live with someone else as housekeeper.
Westbrook - London, Oxford
Squibb, Brooks - London
Kingcombe, Parsons, Penny, Crocker, Brooks - Devon

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 23:01 GMT (UK) »
There is a Harry Williames in Manitoba in 1906 aged 42 years. Single and a Lodger with the Downing family. Immigrated in 1903. Looking at the image this name could easily be "Willamer" (Unfortunately it doesn't give an occupation)  :(

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say checking out the 1926 marriage for a Harry Willsmer and a Clara M Cooper, I think that produces a male child in 1929 - so unlikely to be your Harry I'm afraid.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 23:09 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 Census 2039 Rae. Regina. Saskatchewan shows - Harry Willamer. Aged 47 years. Born England. Lodger. Clerk. Immigrated 1910. Its an awful image to try and read - I can make out the name but not much else  ???

William Rose 32  Geraldine Rose 27
Harry Willamer 47
J W Mannsell 40 Percy Dorne 23

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Canadian passenger List shows a Harry Willamer, travelling Liverpool to Quebec
arriving  23 Aug 1913 on the Laurentic. Had been in Canada before for 11 years (the first date is difficult to read and could be 1898 or 1904  ???)
Given he had been in Canada 11 years, this date must be 1902 until 1913.   This journey also ties in with the UK Incoming in 1913 and would appear to be the same person. Going to Regina. Sask.

Sandra

Offline CaroSG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sandra, more achieved in one hour than I would have thought possible.   I am going to look on Google for some leads on Saskatchewan etc and send for the certificates today.  Do you know much about looking at Electoral Records in Canada... Are those sort of things on Ancestry.com do you know?

Caroline

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 15:50 GMT (UK) »
http://automatedgenealogy.com

you can check the 1901/1906/1911 census at this site for free and also look at the original documents.
I had a look at the 1911 for Regina and the original does look like Willsmer, he is a clerk in a govt. office and so are J W and Percy  that Sandra found. He is listed as single and lodger and the other two are listed as occupants. William and Catherine Rose are listed as head and wife.

I tried to find him on the 1906 but, if there, he is badly transcribed so it would take lots of hours of looking.

www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html
you can look at passenger lists (originals) but you need the name of ship, date of arrival and port and then you need to scan all the pages looking for the surname. You do have some ships and dates so you could look at the passenger lists and see if you find something that we have missed.
If you go to the home page and use the search, you may be able to access the 1916 census but it is by district and not by surname so that can take hours of scanning pages.

The 1921 Census will be available for transcription sometime after 2013 but it will probably be many years before it will be online.

Electoral Records in Canada are not readily available. We have very strict privacy laws in this country that can make searching difficult. Lots of information for pre 1900 but not so much for after. You need to rely on local libraries and newspapers and their archives. That is why I suggest using the library. BMD's are also by province (no central registry) and most use the 100/80/50 years.

www.reginalibrary.ca
"Ask a Librarian"
I would suggest contacting the Regina Public Library. They have a Prairie History Collection which could include Henderson's Directories. If he stayed in Regina for any length of time, they may have access to information that isn't online. BMD's for Saskatchewan are not easily accessible and marriages have not been transcribed for on line viewing as yet. They should have access to old newspapers, etc. that could mention your Harry.

I did check Canada 411, the online telephone directory, for Willmers and there are no listings in Canada.

Sorry that I couldn't be much help.

Sandra's friend in Canada