Author Topic: Arthur C S Pugh  (Read 8741 times)

Offline J M

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur C S Pugh
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello

My Nan was Ethel Maud Hughes and she was married to Arthur Charles Pugh.  The story in our family is that Arthur walked out on her, he suffered from malaria, caught during service in the First World War,his temper was short and they had disagreements Ethel was living at Ivy Cottage, Wootton at the time with her widowed grandmother, Ann Hughes, and her first child my Aunty Maud ( christened Harriet Rosa Maud) and another baby, my Aunty Dolly,( Dora Ivy- after Ivy Cottgae) on the way.  Years later, (no contact with Arthur Charles and none attempted, I think- no financial maintainance for the children either),   Ethel ( Hetty) married my step grandad, Gilbert Smith, a widower with six children.  It was originally a marriage of convenience, but they both grew to love each other My Nan and step grandad both died in 1968 and are buried in Whittington cemetery.

I would like to have known what happened to Arthur Charles Pugh, whether he ever returned home( Ebbw Vale) or went abroad.
J.M.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks J.M.,and first of all a very warm welcome to Rootschat!The story you picture of the life of Ethel Maud Hughes is both a sad one but also the story of a devoted mother who struggled to do her very best for her children.It is also a sad example of the social history of the time.

So you believe Arthur C S Pugh was born in Ebbw Vale?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes.  I have a reason for that. But first please satisfy my curiosity as to how you are related to my Nan Ethel Maud?

Offline J M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

If we grant a life span of say 86 years to Charles Arthur Pugh, a good innings, that would mean there should be a record of death anytime between 1924/25 when he disappeared and 1986.

He could have gone abroad or stayed in England under an assumed name.  What happened when people disappeared in the 1920s?  Was there a police search,( there may be a record of disappearance) or if the relatives did not report it, no one bothered to look? Perhaps he had ill treated my Nan , and she did not care to have him back. I would have thought his own relatives in Ebbw Vale would have made enquiries after him.

His mother lived in Ebbw Vale we think because my Aunty Maud, his and my Nan's first and eldest daughter, born 1921, had a postcard of a very severe looking old lady , all in black, a photo of Charles' mother on the back of which she wrote enquiring about the new baby( My Aunty Maud) and it was was franked Ebbw Vale 1921.

J M

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 17:58 GMT (UK) »
You will know perhaps that Ethel Maud Hughes was the daughter of Maud Hughes born in Oswestry(1873-1899) and an unknown father.This Maud was the daughter of Robert Hughes born in Ruabon Denbighshire in 1837 and his wife Ann Humphreys born in Whittington in c 1840.Robert Hughes was in turn the son of a Robert Hughes born in Llansantfraid Denbighshire in 1812 and his fisrst wife Lydia Madeley who was born and died in Ruabon(1814-1838).Lydia Madeley was the daughter of a Thomas Madeley born in shropshire in c 1780 and his wife an Elizabeth Griffiths born in Erbistock Denbighshire in 1785.Elizabeth Griffiths was the daughter of a William Griffiths born in Erbistock in 1756 and his wife a Mary Davies born in Erbistock in 1755.William Griffiths was the son of a Richard Griffiths and a Catherine Davies both born in the Erbistock area in c 1720.Among Richard and Catherine's other children was a Samuel Griffiths born in Erbistock in 1745 from whom I am descended.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I'll keep looking for Arthur C S Pugh.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I'm not finding a death for an Arthur or Charles Pugh that meets the eye.Have you any whisper what the third initial may have stood for?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 18:42 GMT (UK) »
A fresh angle on this would be to try and obtain Arthur C S Pugh's First World War service record.You state that he caught malaria during the war,this must have been somewhere in the tropics?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline J M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 20:12 GMT (UK) »
The "s" initial  was either Sydney or Stanley.  I did Know , but haven't revsisted him in the Family Tree for a long while.  I will let you know if I can find out which it is for certain. I don't know where he was posted in the War. My eldest Aunty, Maud, his daughter who died in 2005 had some small memories of him , but once he deserted the Family , my Nan never spoke of him again.

JM