Author Topic: Thomas Jennings  (Read 9754 times)

Offline Dave26

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Jennings
« on: Friday 27 January 12 10:11 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out what happened to the following children of Thomas Jennings and Amy Fritter.
James b. 1836, Sarah Ann b. 1839 and Charlotte b. 1845. All born in the Thatcham area.
Any info will be gratefully received.
Regards, Dave
Jennings-Berks,London
Hopping-Plymouth,Uxbridge,London
Jones-Cardiganshire, London
Wartski-Poland,London

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Jennings
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 January 12 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you got them in any censuses? When do you lose track of them? And what were their situations when you last 'found' them?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 January 12 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello
In 1882 Charlotte Jennings married William Rose b abt 1832. In 1881 she is his housekeeper in Enborne. Whether or not the children in 1881 are theirs is a question. He says he is a widow, but the familysearch in 1871 gives the impression that Charlotte was also his housekeeper then, and I haven't found an earlier marriage. 
I suspect they are because some of them were registered as Jennings. Perhaps someone could do an 1871 lookup for you to see for sure the Rose family makeup in 1871.
The whereabouts of the other children of Thomas Jennings died 1845 and Amy Flitter/Fritter I know not, never having found them after 1851.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 12 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not an easy one, a number of possibles to ponder...

Source, IGI, (extr):
10 Mar 1808 (born) Thomas, s. of James Jennings & Spradbury ?, Thatcham, 3 Apr 1808 bap.
8 Mar 1835 Thomas Jennings & Amey Flitter, Thatcham, mar.

Source, Family Search:
*28 May 1835 Charlotte, d. of Thomas Jennings & Ann, Thatcham, bap.
1837 James Jennings, Thatcham, born or bap.
1838 Sarah Jennings, Thatcham, born or bap.
Source, NBI:
*28 June 1835 Charlotte Jennings, inf. Thatcham, bur.

1841 census, HO107/25/21/11/6
Thomas Jennings aged 30. Has his birth at 1811.
Anny aged 30.
James aged 4.
Sarah aged 2.
**Eleazer aged 1 mo.
Jones Seymore aged 10, female, who was she?

Source, NBI:
**29 Dec 1844 Eleazer Jennings, aged 3, Thatcham, St mary, bur.

Source, Free BMD:
Q1, 1845, Thomas Jennings, Reading, death. V.6, P. 172. (cannot see any others).

Hope you can get something from this,

Regards
Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 February 12 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
All of that is what I have plus from the 1851:-
Charlotte Jennings 1845 Birth reg 1845 Newbury, baptism Thatcham 15th June. (IGI)
She is the child living with William Rose in 1881 and who he married in 1882.
Most of the IGI/familysearch entries are submitted rather than collected ones, but most ring true.

To find out what happened to the other children of Thomas (James and Sarah Ann) after he was hanged, the key must lie with the 1871 census or finding marriages/deaths. I have been unsuccessful in that, except for Charlotte with William Rose, so maybe James at least emigrated.
I am really interested in Amy Flitter, the Flitters being part of my extended family. I cannot find what happened to her, either. I haven't been able to find a remarriage or a death/burial so far.
When Thomas's mother, Spradbury, died in 1831 age 53 she was living in Crookham although buried at Thatcham.

The Seymore child in 1841 may well be a neice. I haven't found a connection though.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 February 12 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sorry, I thought I was responding to Dave26' post.

Regards
Geoff

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 February 12 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,
You were really responding to both of us as we both would like to know what happened to those children and wife Amy. Thank you for your interest. Several heads are better than one.
Vicwinann

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 February 12 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Ah! Point taken, my apologies.

I did notice some variations, (though it shouldn't make that much difference) when searching for Anny, Amey, Amy etc,. however, it did change the order in some cases.

There was also:
Source, NBI:
5 May 1891 Charlotte Rose, Aged 52, Newbury, St John the Evangelist, bur. Which would confirm an 1839 birth.

Still one or two mysteries!

Regards
Geoff

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 February 12 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte Jennings 1845 Birth reg 1845 Newbury, baptism Thatcham 15th June. (IGI)

When Thomas's mother, Spradbury, died in 1831 age 53 she was living in Crookham although buried at Thatcham.
Thatcham is, of course, in the Newbury registration district - and Crookham is part of Thatcham so it is only to be expected that the burial would be there.

Source, NBI:
5 May 1891 Charlotte Rose, Aged 52, Newbury, St John the Evangelist, bur. Which would confirm an 1839 birth.
The burial would probably be in the Newtown Road Cemetery - St John's, which is nearby, never had a burial ground. The Newtown Road register for that period is lost.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk