Author Topic: ?error on census - Clayton-le-Moor, Lancs  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
?error on census - Clayton-le-Moor, Lancs
« on: Friday 27 January 12 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I am going through the Deans on my Tree trying to verify that what I have so far is correct (as they are proving difficult).   Whilst checking the 1881 census for William Dean b 1834 (I thought in Accrington but census says Clayton-le-Moor) I am puzzled by it.   I don't know the area but maybe someone on Rootschat will?   I thought, according to the census, that two families were living at 8 William Street i.e. the Deans and the Walkinsons - this is what the census seemed to say.   William Dean was "Head" as was Mary Dean/Elizabeth Walkinson.   There is no Mr. Walkinson snr who could be Elizabeth's husband and I thought perhaps they were living together.
I then noticed that the address when looking at William Dean is different from the address when looking at William Walkinson age 28 and all the little Walkinsons - they seem to have the address, on the same census, as Canal Boat Wharf.    One of the Walkinsons is a Canal Boat Captain and it crossed my mind that they lived on a boat and 8 William Street was the nearest address to identify where they were on census night.

I don't have any memberships so cannot check original census to clarify this and wondered if some kind person could please look at it for me as it could equally be an error of transcription?!  Plus, I am curious!

The census number is 1881 RG11,  Peice 4176, Folio 84, Page 56. 

Mystified, Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ?error on census - Clayton-le-Moor, Lancs
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 January 12 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Sue - looking at the actual images there is a blank line after the Deans (last line of page) and the Wlakinsons are on the next page with address Canal Boat, Canal Wharf etc.

Offline marianjarvis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 January 12 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

I actually come from Clayton-le-Moors and in the late 1800s my dads family lived on William Street
William Street isn't too far from the canal and its a turning off Whalley Road and I think that Canal boat wharf would next to the bridge on Blackburn Road.You can get a map up on Google .I don't think they'd follow on in the census.
Yes these census are confusing but it could be that there were two families living at one address.
Do you live in Lancashire?If so if you have a library card you can go to your local branch and use Ancestry for a couple of hours a day for free.
If you live elsewhere ask at your local library I think you may find they have a similar scheme.
Ive had a quick look on Lancashire on line parish records but couldn't find anything for the family names you're looking for.

Marian

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 January 12 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.   While it is not unusual for two families to live together, it does sound beyond strange that the addresses are different.   

mshrmh:  I suspect it is an error then and that the two families are NOT living together.

Marian:  I don't live in Lancs but now you mention it I do remember that the library here in Cambridgeshire will issue you with a card to use the internet - in fact I think I had one a long time ago and don't have it now!  I had forgotten about that.    Perhaps they will give me another one. ::)

Thank you both very much.

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 January 12 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Just to clarify:

Canal Boat, Canal Wharf, Clayton le Moors - (looks as though the boat is called "Annie"

William Walkinson - Captain - married - 28 - Captain of Boat Barge
Elizabeth Walkinson - wife - married - 28
James Walkinson - son - 4
Alice Walkinson - daughter - 2
Robert Walkinson - son - 1
James Walkinson - unmarried - 19 - Mate
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 January 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
That is brilliant and confirmation of separate abodes.

Have submitted an error report for the census in case anyone else is looking for either of these families.

Many thanks.

Sue

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 January 12 17:49 GMT (UK) »
I 'm not sure why you needed to submit an error report.  If you search on any of the individual names listed, then they appear on the return.  If you look at the original pages then it is quite obvious that they are separate families, complete with the // to denote the end of a household.  And I assume you are referring to A****y - well they didn't index the 1881 census.  Everyone took the indexes prepared by the LDS many years ago, which is why the index search is free to use.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY