Author Topic: India: cemetery of Jhansi  (Read 4412 times)

Offline dillonking

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
India: cemetery of Jhansi
« on: Friday 27 January 12 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Two of my female ancestors Kate or Kathleen Toole and Victoria Charlotte Eccleshall died in Jhansi in 1910. They were wives of soldiers serving in the Worcester regiment. Does any one know in which cemetery they would have been buried? Would they have had headstones? Are there pictures of the cemetery on line?
Thank you very much.
Dublin : King, Burgess, Toole, Martin, Keogh
 Wicklow : Toole, Burgess, , Mc Loughlin, Doyle,  Warren,
Armagh: Reynolds Vallely
Monoghan: Burgess
Keogh. Delgany : Doyle White and possibly McLoughlin
Carlow: Dillon, Delaney
Unknown county: Sweeney and Moran. Sweeneys went to Lpool 1840s and Michael Moran 1820s

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: India: cemetery of Jhansi
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 January 12 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I found a couple of sites that may help

http://www.indiamike.com/india/uttar-pradesh-f60/jhansi-cemetery-photo-shoot-t8323/

http://www.indian-cemeteries.org/cemetery_details.asp?town=Jhansi&cem=Cantonment%20Cemetery

Sadly, many of the old colonial cemeteries have degenerated to the level seen in some of the pics. Thankfully, for this one at least, something is being done.

Tony

Don't know why the first one is not showing as a clickable url but just copy and paste to your search bar

Moderator Comment: removed space from middle of link and it works now
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 January 12 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Further to my previous post I did a surname search for the names you gave and couldn't find any records of graves. It's quite possible that the headstones have disintegrated with age, or that the graves were marked with wooden crosses which haven't survived the years. The fact that this cemetery is inside a military cantonment would probably rule out the stones being used by locals for building. This has sadly been the case at other, more isolated, cemeteries.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline dillonking

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 January 12 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Tony thank you so much for your help, it is much appreciated. I am not surprised there is no trace of them now but it will at least be nice to know in which cemetery they are buried even if I haven't got the plots.
It was kind of you to search for me.
Dublin : King, Burgess, Toole, Martin, Keogh
 Wicklow : Toole, Burgess, , Mc Loughlin, Doyle,  Warren,
Armagh: Reynolds Vallely
Monoghan: Burgess
Keogh. Delgany : Doyle White and possibly McLoughlin
Carlow: Dillon, Delaney
Unknown county: Sweeney and Moran. Sweeneys went to Lpool 1840s and Michael Moran 1820s

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 January 12 19:44 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm that, according to the FamilySearch records, Victoria Eccleshall was indeed interred in Jhansi cemetery - date 2 Nov 1910

The only record for Kathleen I came across was a Catheleen Tool who was born 1904 and died in 1905. The burial was at Mandalay, Burma on 10 Jan 1905, so obviously too young to be a soldier's bride!!
I also searched under O'Toole just in case but the same result came up!

Tony

Offline martinsmith1001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 April 13 11:19 BST (UK) »
Victoria Charlotte Eccleshall died of enteric fever aged 26 at Jhansi, India  02 NOV 1910 and was buried on the same day in Jhansi Cemetery Plot JJJ64.   A Roman Catholic, her grave inscription reads:

"In loving memory of Victoria Charlotte Eccleshall wife of Col Sgt Eccleshall 2nd Bn The Worcs who died at Jhansi."

Offline Anju Luke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 September 16 18:32 BST (UK) »
interesting that I came across this chat.the cemetery at jhansi is a military one and still has a lot of headstones and graves from 100m. I know this because my father is buried there.I will be visiting his grave in a month or two.incase u need...I could look from the gravestone.

Offline Anju Luke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 September 16 18:33 BST (UK) »
and the cemetery is adjoining St judes church at jhansi.

Offline martinsmith1001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 September 16 19:12 BST (UK) »
that is a kind offer. I have no special interest myself in this burial, although others on the chat might be. However I would be very interested to obtain photos of the cemetery entrance gate and perhaps 2 or 3 old military graves as I am doing some work to preserve information about the burials here and some images would be most helpful. kind regards.ms